Going SL to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by supercooled, Dec 28, 2009.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

My machine originally came with Leopard which I thought ran flawlessly but ever since I upgraded to SL, I've had a lot of little problems creep up. I don't know if they're update related or simply SL at fault but it takes a while to put to sleep, a good 1-2 minutes before my machine goes into full hibernation and if that wasn't bad enough, when I wake it up, I lose my optical drive which means if I want to use it, I'll have to reboot. Not a problem since I don't use it that often but I also lose the ability to open up Disk Utility because it hangs trying to access the ATA channel the optical drive resides on.

Found a neat little program called Sleep Please which solves the insomnia problem my machine seems to have as it knocks it out instantly but still have the optical issue.

Is anyone having such problems? These problems are related to my 3,1 Mac Pro but everything works fine on my MBP. So frustrating.

This is a fresh install:

[​IMG]

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

hmm, the sleep you can change in system preferences > energy saver.
    but as for the cd drive, it seems to me that you have a faulty one, take it to the apple store and ask them to repair it. it isn't normal, so they definitely will, if you prove to them that it happens.

3. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

The machine is out of warranty but I suspected that as well so I went out and bought a new DVD drive but the problem persists.

Other problems is apparent with display not waking. I would say 1/4 my display will not wake.

I recently caught one of Leo Laporte's show and he said he only runs SL on one of his machine with the rest still on Leopard because there are issues.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

try taking it to the apple store anyway, say that even though ur warranty is out, they should still fix this because of a problem in their operating system that messed up your device. tell them that you're a big apple supporter, and that if they don't fix this it would be a big disappointment to you, and the rest of the macrumors members, they know what macrumors is. so u kinda threaten them in a way, but a polite way.

5. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lets see if anyone has a recommendation that doesn't require transportation of this beast. It's 1/3 my weight so I'm not looking forward to lugging it anywhere.