Going slightly crazy trying to decide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kane969, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Kane969 macrumors newbie

This is doing my nut in. Obviously I am suffering from opportunity cost anxiety heh. I am torn in a dozen directions. Option one: 27" iMac which comes in at the cheapest at 15,790 kroner. Option two: Mac mini i5, 16gb 256 ssd, and an lg 34" screen, comes in at 16,100 kroner. Option three: Mac mini i7, 16gb, 1tb fusion drive, ASUS 29" wide screen, comes in at 16,400, or option four: Mac mini i5, 16/256 ssd and 28" full hd ASUS screen (not wide) for 14.000 kroner... I like the ssd for quiet and speed of start up etc, it's what I have on the air, but with a network drive 3tb and 3tb cloud it's not like I need the 1tb fusion or 1tb Sata in the iMac.. But the iMac is such a nice design... Sigh. I need more money.

Convince me... My general usage isn't exactly power stuff. Word. Scrivener. iTunes, watching movies... Hence the 34 inch screen appeal...

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Fl3mez macrumors newbie

If your not gonna do intense stuff on it why not buy the Mac mini and a Thunderbolt Display or MacBook air and Thunderbolt display?

Both are reletivly Good but the Mba would allow you to take the laptop with you and when your home just hook it up to your Thunderbolt display

4. Kane969 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fl3mez,

I've got an Air, it's my wandering around being social while I pretend to work machine - I'm lucky, I get paid to make stuff up for a living, so can work pretty much anywhere, but I'm trying to cut back on the insane amount of hours I spend in the local cafes, we're talking 6-7 hours a day, that's a lot of cash if you figure on spending even only 3 bucks an hour 'rent' for the seat so you don't feel bad... it's probably up around 500 bucks a month on coffee and cinnamon buns simply so I'm not in the study at home... - but I find myself in this weird situation where, as a small business I pay 50% tax on my profits here in Sweden, end of tax year rolling up, and a new machine is one of the few things I can run through the books as a legitimate expense as a writer of books and games.

So... the obvious answer of a Thunderbolt Display or the similar LG 34UM95-P (which offers a nutty 34") as a 'solo' purchase doesn't actually eat up enough of the profit from 2014, meaning I'd literally be giving the tax man half of what I don't spend... or put it another way the brains of the system (mini) would essentially be free as that same amount of money (50% of the total spend budget) would go to the tax man otherwise.

The other reason I don't just buy the monitor to replace my rather blurry Samsung SyncMaster P2770 is physical 'real estate' on my desk. I like to spread out and use papers to take notes and shuffle stuff around in plotting and design rather than trying to do that stage directly on the screen as there's something more organic about ideas and pens...

So really it's a cost analysis thing, bang for buck. Better overall machine in the iMac, less screen for multiple documents (synopsis, research notes and actual writing file) vs slightly lower spec machine with that added screen real estate simultaneously clearing up my actual desk.

I'm sure, in sad reality the very bottom line mini would actually handle everything I really use the computer for with no real difficulty, but I'm thinking the tricked out memory and ssd sort of 'future proof' the machine for a while.

I've been reading up on the various monitors - the asus 29" widescreen is 2560x1080, but it's a weird height at about 15 cm shorter than the lg or imac. The lg is 3440 x 1440 (which it looks like the new mini can handle, but being such a monster with 4 split screen I'm thinking the extra ram is a must), and will 'feel' like having the duel monitor/laptop display without taking up the same desk space...

I love the look of the imac, but cost wise it's half the memory and a much slower drive in the 1024 sata (which will spin, too... something that will distract me if it's not silent like the other options).. can you see why I keep talking myself round in circles? I was convinced 3 days ago the imac was the option.

5. Kane969 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well...

I just pulled the trigger, bought the 27" iMac and upgraded to the fusion drive because I'm thinking it's a worthwhile upgrade. Yikes. Committed now.

6. Fl3mez macrumors newbie