Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Hey everybody. I just wanted to check in and say I'm not ignoring you. This is all excellent information and I need to re-re-read it a few times to soak it all in.

As I said before, I'm not planning on doing photography for a living, but as I do enjoy traveling, I'm planning on spending some money on some quality equipment.

I don't need to do video, I just want to be able to frame pictures of places that I have been and seen with my own eyes. I got really lucky in Venice with a picture that a real photographer would probably gag at, but everybody who sees it in my dining room raves.

I really like the thought of the reaction speed that has been mentioned here. I've missed pictures because the camera was very unhappy with what I was asking it to do.

I would like to learn to take better pictures as I am in the early stages of planning out a trip to England and possibly Ireland for next year. So once I narrow down what to do from the great information posted here, Alaska will be the learning experience. London and the surrounding area will be where I see what I've learned. :D

Since budget is holding some folks back, let's set the bar at $1000 unless that's just the equivalent of buying the high end crap. I want this camera to last (I will hug it, and pet it, and call it george) I mean, I will take really good care of it. If the consensus comes to $1500 to do it right, and to do it well, I will grit my teeth and sell my neighbor's kidney or something.

Again, I really appreciate everything that's been posted so far. Except for that Hello Kitty camera. That was harsh. Considering that I'm using an HP point and shoot with a Homer Simpson skin on it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.