Going to an Apple Store for a Hard Drive issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ABernardoJr, Jun 13, 2009.

1. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

I just recently got my Macbook Pro (from maybe 2 years ago, prior to the unibody fits and even before Leopard) back from the Apple store to fix the Hard Drive. I got a general question though: Does Apple replace or repair hard drives? This one was changed from the Tiger I sent it in with to Leopard :), but I'm just wondering if they actually repair over replace or vice versa for Hard drives. Or does it depend on the notebook? I think the battery was replaced too as some extra background info (not really relevant though lol) so I'm thinking the drive and battery are new all together?

EDIT: By the way, the issue was more than likely a physical crash, as it would keep clicking before we got it fixed. It all leads me to think that, as noted in the replies (thanks), the hard drive is a new one, since fixing one with a physical issue would be unreasonably difficult.

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I think they would more than likely replace a faulty hard drive unless it was a really, really simple fix.

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I don't think they would repair a hard drive.

It's easier and cheaper to just replace one.

4. RobZ1 macrumors newbie

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

6. ABernardoJr thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, just to confirm this (with a few more responses as well), Apple replaces hard drives over "repairing" them if possible. I mean after they checked it and said they'd need to take the MBP in earlier this year (clicking, wouldn't start up or repair via disk utilities and whatnot), it came back with Leopard instead of Tiger, a new battery, etc. for about $260+ and should be a completely new hard drive from the Apple store. Correct? :D

7. imthekuni macrumors member

I have taken my macbook in twice for hard drive related problems and they straight up replace them.

EDIT: Both times were for physical "clicking" related problems

8. AppleUser2 macrumors member

I suppose I will find out in about 3 hours - going to a genius with keyboard, hard drive and SuperDrive problems. Hopefully if they do replace they will do it there and then if they have hard drives in stock. Will let you know (although I think we already do from the number of people here who have already said that they replace, not repair).

9. imthekuni macrumors member

Are you expecting them to switch it out right there? I had my hdd replaced twice. The first time I had to leave it there, the second time I had to purchase a procare account in order to have them replace it right in front of me.

10. ABernardoJr thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the replies, especially since they were very quick. And I AppleUser2 I think they have a tendency to keep the notebooks so they can get the replacement, they had ours and said it'd be out for a few days. I think they called the next day though. lol But yea I'm pretty sure that Apple Stores replace them not in front of you but maybe overnight or something.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Depends on volume. I've had a few customers that had the replacement done the same day since it really only takes 20 minutes on the pre-unibody models and even quicker with the unibody models. Of course they would need to have it in stock as well.