going to an other mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stefmesman, May 4, 2011.

1. stefmesman macrumors 6502

i currently have an imac and im soon replacing it with an macbook pro. i do want to do an clean installation. but i also dont want ''documents'' and such to be left behind. whats the best way to do the cleanest installation on a new mac and also transfer the files i have on my old mac? and i dont want to do everything manually cause then ill be even more afraid ill leave things behind...

thanks!

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

if u bring it into the apple store they will transfer everything or just the things u want to ur new computer, and help you set it up.

3. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

no apple stores near here im afraid, ill go exploit those links :)

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then find the OS X install disk for the original iMac (more on using that after the transfer) and then use the fastest port common on both Mac and cable between the old iMac and the new Mac. Then on the new Mac open /Applications/Utilities/Migration assistant. Then use that to transfer anything you want (iTunes music, pictures/documents you want) and then let that run at night to transfer to the new Mac.

Then the next day if you are satisfied with the transfer, log into the OLD iMac and open iTunes and in the iTunes menu items click on the 'Store' menu item and select to "Deauthorize This computer" so the iTunes Music Store will not count that computer to your account anymore.

Lastly on the old iMac boot with the OS X install disk and do wipe and fresh install. This way on you new Mac's iTunes account go back to the iTunes menu item Store and add the computer to your iTunes account.

5. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

just use the migration assistant either in the new account setup via firewire or do the transfer after the account is created on the new computer via ethernet (just make sure the username/short name is not the same on your old computer). you can then just delete the account on the iMac either in single user mode or by creating a new admin account and deleting it when logged in from there