Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Thanks for all the help guys... Just to update what happened.

The guy at verizon a few days ago said that during week days I probably don't need an appointment...so I just walked in and the nice apple guy helped me out by checking me in and within 10 minutes another great guy came over to help me! He asked to see my phone after I explained my home button issue and he even tried to use it and it wouldn't work for him either. He was nice about it and said he could repair it so I could keep my own device! He said it wouldn't fix the problem just replacing the home button mechanism so he ended up replacing the home button and entire screen! I was fine and didn't mind as long as the button worked again! I got there 30 before closing time so he said it would take just a bit longer to fix it than the amount of time they were open so he said I could just sit or shop around and wait a few minutes after close and my iPhone would be ready. About 10 minutes after they closed my iPhone was ready and I was satisfied since the home button now worked- plus my screen looked brand new and is now even more responsive than the old screen! I was also happy since they didn't have to erase my iPhone to do the task! I'm very happy with my first ever experience with apple store! I was surprised this apple store had a Genius Bar but they don't even use it; they just use some other tables around the store and nobody even stands at the Genius Bar. It was a small store compared to most I've seen in other cities. Everyone was really nice and I couldn't be much happier!!! Now I wish I could work there!

Good to see another satisfied apple customer. No other mobile manufacturer can even come close to this level of service!

Did you have to pay to have it fixed? Or was is good will? :)

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Restore as new, if the button still doesn't work, take it in. They will ask you to restore if you have not.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Good to see another satisfied apple customer. No other mobile manufacturer can even come close to this level of service!

Did you have to pay to have it fixed? Or was is good will? :)

No, it was free since I just got my iPhone in December!!!

----------

Restore as new, if the button still doesn't work, take it in. They will ask you to restore if you have not.

I took it to apple already! The genius checked it out and when he used it, it took maybe 15 tries just to get it to leave the settings app!!! So he took it in the back and gave it some surgery and I'm happy as can be! Thanks for your post!

kidsleepy

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
Montauk, NY
Hi,
Recently, my iPhone 5c home button started to be temperamental and doesn't work every time I press it. It has gotten very annoying and sometimes I have to press it up to 10 times before it works (I am just pressing like normal). I can't even open multitasking because the chances of the button responding twice in a row is nearly zero. I do have a Griffin Survivor case on it but I have taken it off for a period of 2 days and the button was still defective most of the time. Now, I have assistive touch turned on but I would prefer not to have to keep that turned on for the next 2 years I have the phone. I'm thinking about going to an Apple store for the first time ever(It's more than an hours drive and in the most inconvenient spot on the edge of the city even though I live in a big city). I was going to go to the Genius Bar and see if they could repair or replace my phone (yes it is still in warranty).

My questions:

1) Do I HAVE to make an appointment with the Genius Bar? Like I said it is so inconvenient to go to my apple store and I would rather just walk-in than be late.
ALSO, if I HAVE to make an appointment, how far in advance?

2) Are they able to fix home buttons in store, or are they more likely going to replace it.

3) if they replace my iPhone, is it likely to be a new or used device?

4) is there anything that would stop them from fixing or replacing my device? (I have no jailbreak, no dents, no cracks- looks in great condition!)

5)after they repair or replace the device is there anything I should look over before leaving since I don't want to drive back and find out something is wrong?

6) anything else I should expect?

Thanks for answers!!!

first off, how did you break your home button? all of the 5's had brand new designs installed because the old home button failed more often than it should have. plus I'm not sure if the 5c is the same but my 5s is a sapphire crystal button to avoid any other possible problems.

also, in the mean time, there's a way of putting a virtual home button on the screen through settings, if you want to know more about that google should be able to tell you.

1. you should make an appointment first, its REALLY easy to. and they call you within fifteen minutes usually.

2. they should be able to fix it in store, but it also matters which store you're going to, some mac stores have more options than others.

3. if they replace your whole phone they'll definitely give you a brand new one.

4. as long as your phone is under warranty there is nothing to stop them from repairing it.

5. always inspect your new devices but there will be records of them giving you the new phone so if anything else is wrong with it that will be covered too. they also have a program in which they can run diagnostic on your device, so request that gets done. i brought my 64gb iPhone 5s in recently to check the bluetooth cause it was acting a tad shady (it was completely fine) and the guy ran the diagnostic on my phone anyway just to check how its been working. (he said i take amazing care of my battery as well!)

6. just come in with as much information as you can, a smarter customer makes a smarter service professional.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
first off, how did you break your home button? all of the 5's had brand new designs installed because the old home button failed more often than it should have. plus I'm not sure if the 5c is the same but my 5s is a sapphire crystal button to avoid any other possible problems.

also, in the mean time, there's a way of putting a virtual home button on the screen through settings, if you want to know more about that google should be able to tell you.

1. you should make an appointment first, its REALLY easy to. and they call you within fifteen minutes usually.

2. they should be able to fix it in store, but it also matters which store you're going to, some mac stores have more options than others.

3. if they replace your whole phone they'll definitely give you a brand new one.

4. as long as your phone is under warranty there is nothing to stop them from repairing it.

5. always inspect your new devices but there will be records of them giving you the new phone so if anything else is wrong with it that will be covered too. they also have a program in which they can run diagnostic on your device, so request that gets done. i brought my 64gb iPhone 5s in recently to check the bluetooth cause it was acting a tad shady (it was completely fine) and the guy ran the diagnostic on my phone anyway just to check how its been working. (he said i take amazing care of my battery as well!)

6. just come in with as much information as you can, a smarter customer makes a smarter service professional.

Thanks for your reply! I already took in my device. I did have assistive touch on (the virtual home button you mentioned. They had great service and I was super happy. If you want to read my follow up on what happened here you go:

Thanks for all the help guys... Just to update what happened.

The guy at verizon a few days ago said that during week days I probably don't need an appointment...so I just walked in and the nice apple guy helped me out by checking me in and within 10 minutes another great guy came over to help me! He asked to see my phone after I explained my home button issue and he even tried to use it and it wouldn't work for him either. He was nice about it and said he could repair it so I could keep my own device! He said it wouldn't fix the problem just replacing the home button mechanism so he ended up replacing the home button and entire screen! I was fine and didn't mind as long as the button worked again! I got there 30 before closing time so he said it would take just a bit longer to fix it than the amount of time they were open so he said I could just sit or shop around and wait a few minutes after close and my iPhone would be ready. About 10 minutes after they closed my iPhone was ready and I was satisfied since the home button now worked- plus my screen looked brand new and is now even more responsive than the old screen! I was also happy since they didn't have to erase my iPhone to do the task! I'm very happy with my first ever experience with apple store! I was surprised this apple store had a Genius Bar but they don't even use it; they just use some other tables around the store and nobody even stands at the Genius Bar. It was a small store compared to most I've seen in other cities. Everyone was really nice and I couldn't be much happier!!! Now I wish I could work there!

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
No, it was free since I just got my iPhone in December!!!

----------

I took it to apple already! The genius checked it out and when he used it, it took maybe 15 tries just to get it to leave the settings app!!! So he took it in the back and gave it some surgery and I'm happy as can be! Thanks for your post!

Good stuff glad you got it sorted, and for nothing too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.