Going to Apple Store Today (Late 08 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by accessoriesguy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, i just read in the iPad forums that if your ipad shocks you, you should take it in immediately. My Macbook Pro has shocked me 3 times, each time it was always connected to the original charger, plugged into a surge protector. I'm still a little hesitant to take it in as I did not get apple care and its 2+ years old.

My MacBook Pro wabbled when i got it but I didn't take it in because I did not mind. I thought little of the shocks, and the screen alignment is off (that was my fault). This Macbook Pro is my companion, it's my first computer and has been getting me through those evil CS classes and long bus rides to school. I'm excited for the chance to go in to an apple store to get some of that superb service I always read about here.

Well I'm mostly just posting to ask if you guys think I should take it in, as it has not shocked me in a while, (yeah i'm one of those guys who doesn't go to the hospital when i'm sick, i'm supposed to have my brace on for my hand due to a contusion but i'm not :p ). Also I'm posting because i'm excited for the chance to go to an apple store, i've only been a handful of times :D this is getting long, well let me know what you guys think. BTW this would need an appointment for the genious bar correct? there site had like 4 links @_@

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sounds like a typical issue that affects some people (as they are more conductive than others due to their chemistry). It is known to affect some people that use their chargers with the non-grounded plug (the 2 prong adapter versus using the 3 prong adaptor that creates a grounding point). Since it doesn't happen much and hasn't happened in a long time I would not worry about it.

The reason it can happen is that the the casing is metal and when the charge builds up and one is using the 2 prong adapter, the charge must go somewhere, so it discharge through the user (it can also happen if your outlets aren't properly functioning to earth ground).

If you are unable to reproduce it n front of the techs, they are going to have a hard time finding fault (especially if everything is functioning correctly).

3. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

well I do have and have only used the 3 prong charger, the screen will occasionally flicker at random times for a second it goes black and back, idk when that started. I guess your right about having no way to prove anything to them. Do you think i should take it in or not?

Help appreciated :D

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The screen flickering and going black could be another issue related to the NVidia GPU within the unit. I would take it in for that and see if they can run the graphics test (if it is doing it frequently then I would take it in). Those symptoms are known issues with the GPU and are covered under an extension of the warranty (for that specific issue) buy Apple and NVidia. The problem is that if the logic board goes before they can prove it is the GPU, then they can try and deny your claim as they can't prove the GPU was the cause of the issue. It won't hurt to take it in and state that the screen flickers from time to time and could they run the NVidia graphics test to verify it is running correctly.

5. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

really??? cool! I thought the Nvidia flickering was my fault. I thought i had damaged the screen, not that i would do it purposely but i found it weird, that it worked if it was damaged it wouldn't just randomly flicker you know?

This computer and I have been through a lot, walks to the bus station, from bus to school and back, i'd have to run with it in my back pack because of the rain, and above all that it continues to work.

I used to not like macs but under recommendation of a good friend i bought this machine, and it is the only apple product I own (i love the iphone but i can't afford)

Well idk whats better, finding out it has some error and needing to be fixed, or keeping my trust worthy pal :rolleyes:

EDIT: It is frequent, it happens a couple times each use. can't say a specific amount in a given amount of minutes.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

First, yes, that's probably worth taking it in for. It's quite likely that it's nothing to worry about, but find out for sure.

Second, if you have a late 2008, it doesn't have the nVidia 8600m GT graphics card, so the screen flickering can't come from that. If you have a early 2008 (last of the non-unibody models), then the flickering is quite likely to be the infamous nVidia problem.

Good luck--hope it's nothing serious!

7. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought the flickering was for the 8600m not my 9600m, wow learn something new, so i also just found out that the mac is not supposed to wabble when on a flat surface. Mine was like that since i got it and never thought anything of it.

I just found out that my poor quality mac is still a pleasure to use, If this mac does turn out to have all those problems, and its still this great to use, i am plenty surprised :apple:

8. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

Hi!

I have the same computer, but with AppleCare. I've experienced some oddities as well, mainly random freezing and some other problems. Without any questions my MacBook Pro was taken in and a week later my computer had a Logic Board replacement done and ready to go.

Just recently I had a very slightly swollen battery that still functioned fine, and again no questions asked they took it in and gave me a new one after a couple of days. It's some of the best customer service I have ever experienced and I would not hesitate to go check what they can do for you, but be warned that most likely they will not offer free service to you, because yours doesn't have AppleCare.

No doubt anymore, AppleCare is very well worth it. I'll take it with every new Mac purchase in the future, because if/when something goes wrong, it pays itself back. I checked some prices online and a new Logic Board and battery cost almost as much as the MacBook Pro itself! My AppleCare coverage ends in November, though. But in case I need to have my MacBook Pro serviced then, it's already time for an upgrade, so I don't feel too bad about it. But if I could extend AppleCare for a year or two more, I would gladly pay for that.

9. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's chill, I didn't have the money for apple care. Since it may be a nvidia GPU glitch maybe they will be chill. I've heard apple stores can be awesome some times.

I mean I kinda don't want to take it in because it seems unfair that it doesn't have warranty, like i know another dude who posted about bringing in 2 broken apple products he bought and they replaced for him. But apple has awesome customer service, its like a car repair shop, sometimes they offer extended warranty as good customer relation. I mean if my GPU is bad and its shocking me i guess that's a legit reason to be concerned. Hopefully i have a chance to go today. If not tomorrow, ill let you guys know how it goes.

10. mr. feeny macrumors member

my 07 mbp just had its gpu replaced under the class action suit and my symptoms were flickering and freezing. I would take it in and have them test it. Although mine didn't test bad until it actually died

11. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

did they replace it after it broke?

more importantly OMG YOUR MR. FEENY!!! :D
    FEENY MR. FEEEEEEEEEEENY! FEENY FEENY FEENY! FEEEEeeeeeEEEeeeEeENY!

12. mr. feeny macrumors member

great show isnt it,

and yes, it tested as operable with nothing wrong while having all of these symptoms. When it failed my computer was a piece of scrap metal until I brought it back and they tested it again and got no response from the gpu

13. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright so i wasn't able to go on Friday, but I did finally go Saturday, since they were remodeling (Pasadena Apple Store) the place was packed. Anyways I had made an appointment online blah blah.

So it's finally my turn, they plug it in and ask whats up. I tell the genius about the shocks and screen flickers. He asked if I had apple care i said no. Long story short he just tells me to not get paper clips stuck in the power outlet or rub my feet on my carpet before touching the mac (neither of which i do). He told me that the flickers he can't do anything unless Apple calls a major recall or they have a large amount of complaints about it. He told me they could send it in for $350 to get whatever it is fixed (same price as apple care) other then that he sent me along my way.

I was like thug life, while I'm here might as well upgrade to lion, i was hoping they would have like a flash version or anything faster then my slow internet at home. The genius dude says something about fast servers i'm not sure what he was talking about. I'm pretty tech savy, but I have no idea what he meant by his answer about installing lion at the store although I asked twice. I just went home, haven't finished downloading lion yet @_@

Oh well, at least my computer is still working, I tried out the new MBP. They are better but not necessarily faster, I had been thinking about selling mine and upgrading. But the improvements for what I use it for, aren't worth the price difference. Any who that was my apple store experience. Thanks everyone for the advice!