Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
hi guys, i have an iphone 4 that i bought off craigslist from an at&t person and im currently a t-mobile customer and my iphone's camera has a discolored camera where the image would have a pink spot on the pictures, this includes indoors and outdoors. many of you guy have said it has to do with indoor lighting but when i do it outdoors, i still see the pink spot on my pictures. so if i go to apple and get a refurbished one with my old one restored so they dont know its jailbroken, would they need to activate the refurbished phone and asked for my at&t number when i dont have one??? Worse case is probably i would have to buy the new camera part and fix it myself so they wont void the warranty on it.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
just tell them you bought it from your cousin and you havent gone to at&t to get set up yet. they may not activate it so if they dont you just need to find someone who has a 4 and borrow their sim for a few minutes. problem is the firmware you will get on the replacement cannot be unlocked at this time. cause most likely it will be on 4.1. I would just live with it for a week or so til the unlock is released. or whenever..............

mikeee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
i hear you, darn. errrrr .... fawk maybe i should just buy a new camera for my phone.

PaHtSaN

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
i hear you, darn. errrrr .... fawk maybe i should just buy a new camera for my phone.

Piece of advice, if you have the warrenty then use it. I tried once, and the replacement that they gave me had the older version on it. I think those replacements to get upgraded regularly, and they probably sit around for a while. Its worth a try. If it ends up being 4.1 take it home, come back the next day, come up with some bs reason for why it doesn't work right and try to get another replacement. Maybe youll get lucky the 2nd time. If not, just keep it until the new unlock comes out, worst case senario you can get some cheap temporary phone to use in the mean time.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
My wife had her iPhone4 recently exchanged. Having a 4.0.x firmware was a big thing she wanted... as she wants to be able to unlock the iphone... for when she travels to Asia.

When we took it to the Apple store to get an exchange, they didn't open a new retail iPhone4 box, rather one of those black box ones... where it is meant as a replacement phone. But it looked perfectly new with no scratches. As to whether those are new or refurbished, hard to say but her issues were resolved and it came with 4.0.1 firmware.

This occurred about 3 weeks ago.

There's a chance you will get a 4.0.x phone but obviously as more time passes, the likelihood diminishes.

As for activation, you could ask them to not activate it... but then you wouldn't be able to test it out to verify it works. Alternative is, if you have a friend with AT&T (preferably iPhone4), borrow their micro simcard to activate... but that there is also an issue, most AT&T phones don't use micro sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.