Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Currently I have a cable modem which is connected to a Linksys 54 series wireless router. Its single band, that much I am sure of. I will check when I get home as it might to N but I am not sure.

Regardless, would it be noticeable if I upgraded my home to a dual band router like Apple's Extreme line; not bad pricing if purchased as refurb; or will the ATV2 do just fine otherwise?

I am looking to swap to Netflix for some TV shows. Most movies I watch are blu-ray and I am not worried about changing that. Just want to make sure that I don't make for a bad ATV2 experience because of my existing hardware.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Currently I have a cable modem which is connected to a Linksys 54 series wireless router. Its single band, that much I am sure of. I will check when I get home as it might to N but I am not sure.

Regardless, would it be noticeable if I upgraded my home to a dual band router like Apple's Extreme line; not bad pricing if purchased as refurb; or will the ATV2 do just fine otherwise?

I am looking to swap to Netflix for some TV shows. Most movies I watch are blu-ray and I am not worried about changing that. Just want to make sure that I don't make for a bad ATV2 experience because of my existing hardware.

I am running my ATV2 on wireless G network and it works just fine. Everything streams fine and I don't get long buffering times. The only issue I had was when I was using google DNS but after switching to my ISP DNS, problems stopped.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
OK, will have to try it as is then, never had any issues with my current setup for anything else and would prefer to not spend what I do not have too

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
If you live in a suburb away from apartment buildings in a single family home, you should be ok. If you live in an urban area with houses crammed on top of each other, and lots of apartment buildings, you won't stand a prayer with your old single band router...

Just give it a try and see if it works and buy a new one if not. FWIW, I think the Apple routers are crap, and the Netgear WNDR3700 is much better...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.