GOing to be a first time mac user when leopard comes out.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by STOCK411, Oct 15, 2007.

1. STOCK411 macrumors member

what programs do you recomend and what should i stay away from... i want to know this so i know which programs to get with my mac when i buy it. thanks... and if you can provide a link with the programs you recommend thanks

2. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

one more quick question??.. should i get a virus program

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

you dont need a virus program but if something clam x av and depending how leopard acts we wont know until we see bugs of what software will work or wont but everything should work :D and enjoy leopard once you get it

4. ColdSniper007 macrumors newbie

Really Depends On What You Plan To Do

Hey there,

5. ColdSniper007 macrumors newbie

Really Depends On What You Plan To Do

Hey there,
    It really is going to depend on what you want/use the computer for. What are you planning on doing with/on the computer? This would help us to give you a more accurate answer than to list software that we like/use/need. Once that is posted I for one will reply again.

Thanx

6. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

i will use it for school work... making movies/music... surfing the web.. .chatting with friends.. general computer use

7. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

8. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Did you check the link that floptical left for you?

10. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

You weren't being very patient. Anyways, Macs come with most programs you already need. You should consider the following, though:
    *For chat: AdiumX - Completely free, and supports instant messaging on any messenger (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, etc etc)
    *Office: Either purchase Office:Mac (you'll get a free coupon for Office 2008 if you buy Office 2004), or consider downloading NeoOffice, a free alternative.
    *Alternative Browser: OS X comes with Safari, some people prefer Firefox for its add ons, however.
    *Download Perian for OS X, its a plugin for quicktime to play many media files. Also get Flip4Mac Windows Media Components, and VLC (to play just about any video/audio file out there). They're all free.
    *Transmission for BitTorrent

Enjoy your new Mac.
    Steve

11. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member