Going to buy 13Pro Tomorrow, advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GadgetGeek407, Mar 18, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have a 13 pro 2.66 8gb ram right now, I run vmware windows 7 and basically do lots of web stuff and upload high def pics n what not.

Should I go with the i5 or i7 whats the big difference and is it noticeable? If I put a SSD on the new machine will it be as fast as the new Air?

Will having 4gb of 1333ghz memory be as fast as 8gb of 1067 that I have now?

How do you all protect your pro? I have speck case now but I hate how it scratches the inside unless u clean daily which I have no time for. I was thinking Invisible shield with a sleeve

What if I buy than return is there a restocking fee?

2. kushed macrumors regular

No. Upgrade your ram either at apple if you can afford and want it done for you or payless for third party and do it yourself.

And it depends on where you buy your laptop, apple doesnt charge restocking fees but some bestbuys do, mine does.

And go with the apple SSD, for what youre doing it will be awesome for you. enjoy your new laptop!

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

well, if u have a 13" 2010 right now... why not go to a 15"? If 13" is enough for you, and u have no money limit, get the i7 and max it out with 8gb ram and 2 SSDs. The speed should be comparable to the Air...

Apple doesnt ask for restocking fees anymore...

4. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why 2 SSDs? Also I REALLY want the AIR more than anything but I like the backlit keyboard and firewire. The weight is amazing on that thing, I want the 13 over the 15 cause of size and weight cause I carry it out around everywhere

5. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Given that it sounds like you have a pretty new (2010?) MBP now, and you don't mention having any problems with it in your typical uses, AND that you really like the Air but wish it had additional port(s) and backlit keyboard (which the MBP has but is heavier and you carry your computer everywhere....)

I think I would wait a while and see what happens to the Air. I mean, sure, if you need a computer now, get one, but I don't hear the need (in your post, anyway), and neither the MBP or the Air sound perfect for you now.

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

7. Koning macrumors member

I would go for the i5 version. Because the step between the i5 and the i7 isn't really big and, in my opinion, not worth the moneygap. I would definitely NOT go with the Apple SSD and RAM because of the ridiculous price. I would go for the OCZ 1333MHz 8GB RAM and wait for the OCZ Vertex 3 to come out and either buy that or get a lower price on the Vertex 2.

In my opinion the SSD is the biggest upgrade currently available. Switched from a late 2009 Mac Mini 2 weeks ago (in which I also had the SSD) and I don't notice any difference, while I have twice the RAM and a way better processor.

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Well, 1 if you dont want... but listen to Miss Terri's advice