Going to buy a Mac Pro...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robbents99, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. robbents99 macrumors regular


    Jan 15, 2001
    Directly under the sun....now.
    Ok, I've settled on getting a 2.66 Mac Pro. With the Apple Store in Providence opening in a week, I'm probably going to go to the NH Store, save the $200 on taxes (I don't mind the drive) and put it towards the better graphics card.

    So, my question is: What is normally at the store? Just the standard 2.66? I was interstered in getting the 1900 for the graphics card, get more ram later and add the bluetooth/wireless parts myself and finally get the app.
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    You can usually get memory upgrades at a store but not much else. Call. Some stores do keep popular configurations
  3. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    They probably won't have any

    Dual 3.0
    16GB RAM
    4 x 500GB HDD
    Quadro FX 4500
    2 x 30" ACD
    2nd SD
    BT & AE
    with BT KB & MM
    & Applecare

    but that's probably pretty good since not only is it not worth the $17k
    or being in debt forever. :D

    anyways, they never carry and CTOs in store. You won't find the graphics card and and RAM or HDD upgrades they may be able to do, you won't get a credit back like you do online.

    Your best bet is to order from Apple.com or 1-800-MY-APPLE and CTO the machine the way you want it. You will have to pay tax. The only reason to ever buy in the store is if you are getting a stock config and not too many MR users buy stock configs.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The X1900XT video card is a hot item and it will delay your order by 3-5 weeks.

    You can buy it stand alone throught the Apple Store online,
    but they are charging $359.00 edu or $399.00 retail.

    Your local store will perform RAM upgrades, but I would call ahead to see what their
    policy is on Mac Pro RAM since it's so expensive.

    Street price is running about $250.00+ per GB, but you must be careful to buy through a known reliable dealer who carries the correct oversized heat spreaders
    required to meet Apple's thermal specifications.
  5. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    The RAM riser cards scare me. This is new tech for Apple. I would wait for rev b. Just my 2 cents. Those were my first signs I had made a good decision buying the last G5 rev. I could be wrong.
  6. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    You'll have a BT dongle if you install the BT/AP card aftermarket.

    I would get the 2.66 Machine with BT/AP card and other wise stock. then upgrade
    the rest as your budget permits.

    If you don't mind waiting for a back order on the X1900XT, then yes it is the best overall Video card at the best price already installed.

    Shopping RAM is what will frustrate you.

    Apple and most of the techs recommend installing FB ECC RAM in sets of 4
    matched DIMMS

    So to get 4 totally matched 512 MB DIMMS, your best alternative is to get your first set from Apple.

    Then once you aquire more wealth or the prices drop, you can order that dream
    4 X 1 GB set 3rd party and sell the factory 512MB DIMMS or run 6 GB :D
  7. NATO macrumors 68000


    Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    What's scary about them? I'm sure Intel had quite a say in the design of the Mac Pro and I'm sure they've done that sorta thing before. I wouldn't let that put you off purchasing a Mac Pro, Rev B is likely to be an evolutionary upgrade (ie, CPU speed increase), rather than an overhaul of the internal design.
  8. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Agreed. But I also think the riser cards will be better as well. For now, I'm a bit put off.
  9. mustard macrumors 6502a


    Dec 28, 2005
    Most of the stores due have some CTO-ish systems, I just got a 3.0GHz system with 2Gb Ram and an X1900XT.

Share This Page