Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M2 pro or m3 pro

• Total voters

Sherder50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
Refurbished macbook pro m2 pro 12c 19 gpu 16gb ram or m3 pro 12c 18 gpu 18gb ram?im using it for ios development and 3D max rendering and autocad

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Without much info about your circumstances, and at the risk of seeming pedantic (except not merely seeming; I just am),

M3 and upgrade RAM to 36 GB. Autodesk "recommends" 16GB, but in the back corners of the seedy draftsmens' bars, out where the buses don't run, they all whisper that it really needs 64 GB for big, detailed designs with toolsets loaded.

3DS Max is a whole 'nuther story... And that use case feels kinda fail-y. Autodesk has not compiled 3DSM for ARM, even with Windows, let alone Mac. They outright discourage virtualization; however, on Apple M, the only Windows you can virtualize is ARM, in any Type 2 hypervisor, such as Parallels or Fusion.

As much 3DSM costs, I'd need to be doing paying jobs with it. If that were the case, attempting 3DS Max on Apple M would be like poking a Black Mamba who woke up skeptical of my good intentions. I'm sure someone would be happy to sell me Blender, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.