Going to buy a MacPro.. some questions..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sotofish, Mar 14, 2008.

1. sotofish macrumors member

First, this community is pretty awesome, I just looked back at all my dumb questions over the years:) Thanks for all the help. So..

My old first generation G5 is getting on in age. Getting slow and buggy. I am about to get a new MacPro. And have some questions. Here's my setup:

mac pro
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    2GB (2 x 1GB)
    500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

I'll be buying an additional 2GB's of RAM from Macsales, so total 4GB of RAM.

Getting a 500GB external drive or better (from my brother who works for cust. support for AcomData).

The new Mac will be used for:
    *Chunky Photoshop images-300-800MB files.
    *Giant 12,000 image iPhoto collection (current computer can barely handle it)
    *Some video editing, home movies recorded in HD, probably using iMovie.
    *Minimal gaming- maybe World of Warcraft...
    *And of course email, web, and very basic web page design.

Questions:

1. Anything you would tweak or change with the setup? Should I get a better video card? More HD space? Will my setup be fine for what I'm doing?

2. Can I use Adobe CS2 or do I need to upgrade to CS3? I remember there was something I read about compatibility problems with the Intel chips...

3. I am currently using Dreamweaver MX 2004, yes it is old but has all I need... will this work okay or is it time to shell out more money and upgrade?

4. On my old comp I still have OS 10.3. Do programs like Appleworks still work on the new ones? I have Appleworks/ClarisWorks files from 10 years. Do I need iWork?

5. Not a question- just damn, things add up! I used to just get friend's copies of software (that they got free from someone), but now that I'm a grown up I have to buy...

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

1. Anything you would tweak or change with the setup? Should I get a better video card? More HD space? Will my setup be fine for what I'm doing?

I would suggest more hd space

2. Can I use Adobe CS2 or do I need to upgrade to CS3? I remember there was something I read about compatibility problems with the Intel chips...

CS3 is a dog of an upgrade especially on Illustrator (Acrobat just seems to different, not better, Photoshop slower). Wait till Adobe do something about the reams of complaints...

3. I am currently using Dreamweaver MX 2004, yes it is old but has all I need... will this work okay or is it time to shell out more money and upgrade?

It will work, your call.

4. On my old comp I still have OS 10.3. Do programs like Appleworks still work on the new ones? I have Appleworks/ClarisWorks files from 10 years. Do I need iWork?

Not sure but I seriously doubt they work.

5. Not a question- just damn, things add up! I used to just get friend's copies of software (that they got free from someone), but now that I'm a grown up I have to buy...

Get new friends!!!!!!!!!!

3. giantrobot macrumors member

Before you do anything - take a look at the graphics upgrade thread for the old mac pro. It will likely apply to you and your new Mac Pro in about a year. Mac has never provided graphics upgrade paths for their workstations.

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

CS3 has massively improved performance on Intel Macs
    compared to CS2. These benchmarks were for the CS3 beta:

http://www.barefeats.com/quad16.html

I'm too lazy to look up the other benchmarks.

5. bigbird macrumors 6502

I'd add at least 1 more internal HD, strictly for the iMovie/video editing. Get a 500GB drive, they're the most cost effective right now. I've seen WD Caviar 500GB 16MB cache for under $90 in Canada. Going to 8GB of total RAM for Photoshop wouldn't hurt either.

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I didn't actually mean performance wise, offset path for instance is a reason to go back to cs2. I would advise looking at some of the comments in the adobe forum before you jump.

7. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Could you provide a link to that thread please?

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

9. sotofish thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the thoughts and links...

I will try to get a third HD, I haven't done much video editing lately, I forgot how many GB's film clips take up. Hmmm, and Thanks.I forgot about the 150GB backup HD hooked up to my current computer... not very big by today's standards but I can use it for some video clips.

4GB of RAM is all I'll have budgeted, especially seeing as how I need to get the Adobe CS3 upgrade (ouch). From what I've read, I'm thinking it'll be okay unless I'm getting into HUGE photoshop files.

Thanks