Going to buy an acd...probably...advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by student_trap, Mar 4, 2008.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hello all,

Essentially Im tying up buying a 23" acd with my 2nd mac pro order (1st one was shall we say...a dud:eek:, which in actuality is ok as its let me re config the thing, freeing up cash for a nice display!)

Most of the time i spend on my mac is doing photo and video stuff (CS3 mostly), and im looking for a display, and in particular, am prepared to shoot for the 23", except that i have a few questions:

1. The seemingly everlasting 'new acd's soon' talk makes me ask, when do you guys expect an update?

2. What changes are realistic with such an update...and what effect would the end user really have from them?

3. Does anyone find the 23 version too big (does it give you headaches etc)? I ask because my eyes are very sensitive to things like this!

4. How long is the power cable?

I ask the update questions simply because im trying to decide whether its even worth waiting (as im buying applecare for my mac pro, it makes sense to buy an acd at the same time!), and the others for more practical reasons.

I hope you guys can help,

Thanks in advance

2. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

anyone? I have searched but I wondered if there is any new info, plus i couldn't find what any expected updates would be

3. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I don't find the 23 too big, I'm like you. Can't stand crappy CRTs with all that flicker and stuff.

The power cable is probably ten to fifteen feet long. However, if it's a huge problem for you, buy an extension cord. It won't kill you.

4. chamrick75 macrumors newbie

I purchased a 23" ACD just a week ago - so maybe I can provide you with some helpful information.

1. Nobody has any idea when new ACDs will be released. It's unlikely to happen anytime in the next few months, though. As many people have pointed out time and time again on this forum, there's not many ways to improve the Cinema Displays - besides maybe adding an iSight camera.

2. I think the 23" inch is a perfect size. If you're used to working on a smaller screen, it's going to seem a little large at first, but you'll get used to it very quickly (and will most likely desire even bigger next time). I love the extra space.

3. I do not know how long the power cable actually is (I haven't measured it), but it is a decent length - maybe 6 ft. I remember thinking it was longer than I expected it to be.

I hope that answered your questions. I do have a few more tidbits that may help.

After just under a week of using my new ACD, I've decided to return it. There are some quality issues with my 23". My 20" was perfect - and so I have been a little disappointed with the upgrade. My display has one stuck pixel near the middle. It also has the infamous pink hue - although it is very subtle and can only be seen when viewing gray colors. And the last thing, the anti-glare coating is much thicker on the 23" than Apple's other displays. It's very distracting.

Don't let this discourage you - as I may have received a bum screen. But from what I can tell, receiving a perfect 23" ACD is kind of a crap shoot.

My last thought. I am disappointed in Apple's return policy. They are not very welcoming of return's and normally charge you a 10% restocking fee on returned merchandise. Best Buy on the other hand, sells the ACD's and they will accept a return of it no questions asked and no restocking fee. They'll even open it up in the store for you and test it before you even have to buy it and take it home. If receiving a perfect screen is very important to you, this may be a good way to go.

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the info, it really is very helpful. FYI, as im in the uk, EU law states that the consumer has 14 days to return any product for a full refund, so changing displays if i get a dud is more of a effort than financial concern.

Is getting a perfect 23 incher difficult then?

6. chamrick75 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how difficult it really is to find a perfect 23" - as online postings are probably skewed to the negative side. However, I do think it is obvious by looking at the reviews that the 20" and 30" displays are more consistent in delivering satisfaction than the 23". Since it's introduction, there seems to be something up with the 23".