going to buy an ipad instead of mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stege, Mar 11, 2010.

1. stege macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm here to ask for advice.
    I own a new 27" imac at home, and an Iphone.
    Now i "need" a laptop to bring it with me in holidays, for watching movies, or to connect to camera to save picture during long photo trips. In addition I would need it for work for some keynote presentation or basic world work.

The mbp cost 1k euro, right now is too much for me.
    I thought about the ipad. I think it would fit what I need, and would be much more cheaper.

What do you think?
    I have seen the adaptor for downloading pictures from camera, did you understand if it will actually save my NEF files from d700 into the ipad? In this case I would free space in my compact flash card and once home move the pictures from the ipad to the imac for editing.

Am I wrong in considering, for my use, the ipad ideal for me instead than the mbp?
    thanks a lot!

2. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I believe the adapter is only for SD cards at the moment. Will 3rd party suppliers make a compact flash adapter? I would assume iPhoto can import NEFs, so I would assume the iPad will be able to import NEFs; however, you know what they say about assuming.

What about just buying (another) very large compact flash card? Or are you juggling too many already?

Other than that, it sounds like you are one of the prime usage cases for the iPad...

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I dont know if the iPad is a good option for storing pictures. there are cards on the market these days with as much storage space as the entry level iPad and maybe even 32gb cards??? not sure. But for everything else it looks to fit your needs.... Keep in mind that an iPad is nothing compared to a realy laptop its a completely different product you cant do real computing on an iPad so it wont replace a MB

4. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yes just get another memory card.

Ipad looks like a good buy if you already got a full computer at home and just need some portable thing to tide you over when out of the house.

But no one has used it yet so ....

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you are shooting with a D700 you shouldn't be asking if an iPad will hold the NEF images from your memory card. Only the highest end iPad would have enough space to hold movies, music, etc, and large NEF files from a D700.

Like others have said, you either need to get more memory cards, or an Epson photo viewer or equivalent.

OR

Sell your D700, and get a D300s and a Macbook or Macbook Pro.