Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brutusvimes

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding Bootcamp. Firstly, it allows FAT32 partitions up to 30 gigs (approx) per the standard, and NTFS for as much as you like. But it says OSX is only able to read NTFS, and not write. What does this mean for me?

Also, I understand the beta will expire on september 30th or the release of Leopard. Will this mean the removal of the partition or simply denial of access until I upgrade to Leopard?

Thanks!

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding Bootcamp. Firstly, it allows FAT32 partitions up to 30 gigs (approx) per the standard, and NTFS for as much as you like. But it says OSX is only able to read NTFS, and not write. What does this mean for me?Thanks!

I think it means you can drag files from the windows partition to osx or the other way round.

Also, I understand the beta will expire on september 30th or the release of Leopard. Will this mean the removal of the partition or simply denial of access until I upgrade to Leopard?

Thanks!

I think you wont be able to download it, i cant see how they will limit you from using it but it is possible they will limit it.

brutusvimes

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I think it means you can drag files from the windows partition to osx or the other way round.

Oh cool, I won't have to transfer files anyway - I'll be using XP as my gaming OS and using OSX for pretty much all other tasks.

I think you wont be able to download it, i cant see how they will limit you from using it but it is possible they will limit it.

What I meant was: Boot Camp Beta expires at the end of september. But what will that mean? Will it mean I simply won't be able to start up Windows again until I upgrade to Leopard? Or will it actually remove my entire Windows installation from the HD?

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
You will be able to pay a fee of I think $30 to use bootcamp, at least that was a rumour, after it expires.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
You will be able to pay a fee of I think $30 to use bootcamp, at least that was a rumour, after it expires.

Perhaps $30 for support or access to updated Apple drivers, but I'm not sure that anything will happen to an existing Boot Camp install. My opinion is that you pay for Boot Camp through Leopard and with Leopard you get the partitioning utility, the start up selection utility and the Apple Drivers for XP / Vista. Beyond that I'm not sure what else Boot Camp does.

Maybe they'll be sneaky and not provide 64-bit drivers until the official release... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.