Going to Canada with US iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vivithemage, May 2, 2011.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I was curious, I am taking my ATT iphone 4 with me, will it work? Specifically going to the Banff area. Or should I just airplane mode the entire time in Canada?

Is there a plan I can get on for the week I am there, that wont destroy my rates/data? Or is data still expensive?

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Just turn off data and you'll be fine. You'll connect to the Rogers network while abroad. You should get a text message upon entering Canada and it will explain the rates of calls/text messages. It will also give you a toll free number to call if you want to add a data plan. Personally, I wouldn't bother with one, as it's really expensive and it's just not worth it.

3. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

There's the ATT Canada feature that you can get for $4.99 and with that you have 0.59 per minute calls to the US.

I'm not sure about International Data plans though, somebody else would have to tell you that. Just call CS and tell them what you need, they'll be able to tell you for sure.

EDIT: Or just get one of these: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/01/xcom-global-international-mifi-data-rental-service-review/

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I just returned from Canada last week, and I basically left my iPhone 4 in airplane mode the entire time. Once we approached the U.S./Canada border, I switched airplane mode on. Our hotel had free wi-fi, so I was able to utilize that for Skype to make phone calls back home. I haven't received my AT&T bill yet, but I would presume I shouldn't be shocked with any surprise charges.

Just as a note, my girlfriend and I went to Montreal, and her iPhone 4 picked up Telus once we got into Canada. However, she immediately turned her phone to airplane mode once she saw that.

5. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I'll have to remember to do that then. Mifi would be overkill, i'll hope the place I am staying at has wifi.

6. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I know someone who didn't turn off data and used Google Maps in Canada and got $700 in data charges...

Turn off data! Text and voice aren't bad pricing wise but data kills. To be safe, I'd say leave it in airplane mode and only turn on voice/text when you need to use it.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you have an unlockable bb, you can jb/unlock it and put in a pay as you go sim. That's what I do when I travel.

8. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

As long as you have data roaming turned off you should be fine, texts are free to receive and cost .25 cents to send.

9. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Incorrect information. Please look up roaming rates before you post, as you're going to confuse the guy. Roaming charges are $0.50 per text and $1.30 for picture/video messages. Receiving is indeed free as long as you have a texting plan.

Data usage pay-per-use rate is $.015/KB in Canada.