Going to Chile with my 3G iPhone...what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Oct 26, 2008.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I'll be there for three weeks...any help appreciated, especially from those who live there or who've been there.

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Put it on Airplane mode and don't take it off that mode until you touch land back home. Enjoy yourself. Need a phone? Use the one in your hotel/place you are sleeping.

It isn't worth it.

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

1) Unlock it

2) Leave it home

at&t international roaming rates could draw blood from a stone.

4. fastgraham macrumors member

another option

I am in Hong Kong now for 3 weeks with my US based AT&T 3G Iphone. I went to the local phone store and bought a SIM card for about $20. This is a pay-by-the-minute SIM card. It has about 200 minutes on it with a new local phone number.

They also sold me this thin SIM card sized thing called a GEVEY-3G for about $20 which goes into the SIM card holder with my new SIM card. Basically, it tricks the Iphone to allow me use my Iphone locally.

So, I put my AT&T SIM card away and I use my Iphone as I would in the states, but with the local carrier.

I can make and receive calls (with the new local number), I can SMS, but I can not use safari through the cell towers, I can only do this in a hotel with WiFi.

If you do this, you must switch to airplane mode to sync with Itunes, then you must restart the Iphone to get a cell signal.

5. rafayj macrumors newbie

Ofcourse your mobile connection wont support internet in another country so your best way of using Iphone over there would be by using WIFI. Apart from that, as said by all use the airplane mode else you would have problems with the signals.