Going to college, Should i get a mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RRalston3, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RRalston3 macrumors newbie

Ok so next fall (fall 2008) i will be entering college as a freshman and i am looking to get a new lap top. I really like the mac book pro from what i can tell but i dont really know which one would be best and how to customize it.

I do know that i will be majoring in engineering and will be using cad programs so i plan to put windows xp on my mac.. if i get it... so is the mac book pro a good choice as far as getting a lap top for college? and if so which version.. the 15" 2.2Ghz or 2.4Ghz.. or even the 17" 2.4Ghz or 2.6Ghz?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're not going to be buying a laptop for some time so wait for a Macbook Pro update.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

A laptop is a laptop, generally there isn't to much difference between all them, except how fast they do things. Eidorian is right, its still a long whiles away until you need it, and you'll get a nice bundle if you wait (ipod nano). and planning beyond I want the middle priced one is silly cause apple can and does often flip everything on its head.

4. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

From my experience I purchased a regular MacBook for college and I eventually had to upgrade it to a MacBook Pro about half a year later. Personally for me I like the power of a stronger graphics card and the MacBook Pro takes care of my side hobbies such as music, photography, etc. But yeah, I would wait til before you step into the waters of college to see what Apple has out then. Just my 2 cents if anything.

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'd agree with the other posters - wait for the updates then get the MBP. You could always run Windows on it as well if you desire.

6. elmo151 Guest

find out what the standard is at your school and get it.

before you decide to get a mac, make certain the schools std apps(like autocad) will run on it. :confused:

7. RRalston3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my school accepts any type of computer... i read their computer requirements and its pretty much just the basic... i am wanting to get a Mac Book Pro around may of this year because that will give me some time to get used to it over the summer before starting college. So the updates should be out by then right?

Oh and i am also looking to put limewire on the mac book pro... i know that limewire has caused problems with windows computers because of viruses and spyware and what not but should i have any trouble with using limewire on a mac?

sorry i am very mac illiterate

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

try purchasing the laptop through your campus or through the education discount option. if you buy now you'll be getting it for 1699 instead of the 1999 for hte entry level mbp.
    that's what i'll be doing.
    but i agree with the others, wait for a bit since fall is too far ahead:D

9. RRalston3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my main question is which version of the mbp should i get? like as far as ram and 2.2, 2.4, or 2.6 GHz mbp.

i will be using cad programs and such so i just dont know which version is best

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In the next few weeks there will likely be an update, so you can consider your options when you can see them :)

11. RRalston3 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. friedymeister69 macrumors member

I was in the same predicament, I was deciding between the Macbook Pro and the Lenovo T61 for college (engineer). I chose the macbook pro 15.4" 2.4ghz and upgraded to 4gb ram + Leopard. For some reason, my mac has a few hickups and does not run perfectly, but I also have a friend that was in the same situation; he bought the intro macbook pro and runs XP Pro on it.

Any of these options will work for you, just be advised that even a 15.4" macbook pro is a hassle to carry around.

Finally, in my experience, you don't even need to be a student at the university to order from the school store. I got a better price on my laptop than through apple education by buying it from my school store, but another one of my friends also bought a laptop from my school store without being a student.