Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macvillain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Michigan
New member, first time poster, long time reader, and big fan of macrumors. First off let me say that i am sorry if there is another thread just like this already. Well my problem is that i am going to college, but i am going to a community college and staying home for two years to save some money. As you can see from my signature i am in great need of a new computer. At first i was thinking of getting a Macbook Pro from the get go to last me through all of college. but recently ive been thinking since i am staying home for a while that i should get an Imac now or in the summer and buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro when i get accepted to the program i am majoring in at a university. I figure by that time Nehelam and the case redesign for the laptops will be done and most of the bugs will be worked out. Money is not really an issue because i should get some decent money for my graduation and i am a workaholic and save most of my money. Any suggestions or advice on what to buy and when would be greatly appreciated. I figure you can never have too many macs anyway:D

Say What??

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
I am going to college also and am planning on buying a macbook when nehalam comes out. I too was thinking about a macbook pro. macbook is just more realistic for what i need

coolant113

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
New Jersey
it depends on how much money you have to spend and if u think you will be able to afford a mac when you get accepted in to your other college or whatever it is.. a laptop is probally your best bet because you can take it to class and take notes on it if you want to and you wont have to wait to go home to do stuff on the computer.. A macbook should be good... if you are looking to save some money get a certified refurbished apple from the apple store online.. good luck..:apple::apple:

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Get a Macbook, the portability is awesome, and you don't need a Macbook Air. Chances are, even if you have an iMac, you are going to find yourself wanting portability, obviously the Macbook Pro would solve both problems, but it's more expensive and I agree, two years later your Macbook will be fine and you can upgrade.

Also, WHATEVER YOU GET is going to be a step up, not only Windows to OSX but also in general specs.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Well having fairly recently been to college I will say this first. Do not get a laptop! Unless of course you have other uses.

They are useless for taking notes in class unless the professor uses a strict outline format. Try taking notes on a computer when a professor is jumping around on a topic and drawing diagrams. Secondly, they are more weight to carry around. When you have multiple classes requireing giant and heavy textbooks space in your satchel or backpack is precious. You do not want to be trying to stuff a laptop in your bag when you have five courses where you need to bring binders and books, nor make 15 to 20 minute trips to the parking lot to switch out books. Another consideration you do not want it as a crutch for classwork. If you want to excel in class and know your material visit the library and read books.

Honestly when I went to college I never touched my iBook unless I knew I was having a light workload day. At which time I would bring my iBook to watch a movie and that is it. For any course related work and general computer use I used my Powermac.

I whole heartidely recommend a Desktop Mac. If you want to save some money and do not need tons of storage nor a dedicated video card get a Mini otherwise get an iMac. The money you can save with the mini can go towards partying. Just so you know none of my friends used laptops in class nor had much use for them outside of class.

In my opinion I would say if you want to do well. If you want to learn, have less distractions and excel in your courses do the following. Do work with Pen and paper (only use the computer for your final draft), use the library and textbooks and do not use the internet for class work unless it is required. It took me a long time to figure this out but I went from a 2.3 GPA to a 4.0 every single semester.

/end rant

JoshLV

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm going to Uni in August also. I chose a MBP 15" Matte 2.4GHz and I love it. I have been using it for high school and it has been great. It stays cool, has a long lasting battery, and can do whatever I need it to do. My undergrad study is Pre-Veterinary Medicine and I'll be going into Veterinary school afterwards and I'm confident that this will do everything that I need it to do. I definitely recommend it. :apple:

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I'm not sure why students bring their laptops to class. When I walk around while I'm teaching, I look at what students are working on and it seems that most students are surfing the web or playing games. It's seems that a small number of the students are using their computers to take notes. Students ...... correct me if I'm wrong.

If I were a student today, I would probably go with the MBP if I could afford it. And with the MB if I wanted to save a few bucks.

Cheers.

JoshLV

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Las Vegas
Agreed on the note taking. I prefer diagrams and writing with a pencil/pen. But having a MBP to take my work with me and being able to work on it anywhere is a huge help.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I'm not sure why students bring their laptops to class. When I walk around while I'm teaching, I look at what students are working on and it seems that most students are surfing the web or playing games. It's seems that a small number of the students are using their computers to take notes. Students ...... correct me if I'm wrong.

students do it for the same reasons people in office environments bring sudoko puzzles and crosswords and palm pilots and laptops to office meetings and lectures and faculty presentations.

people like to check mail, check the news, amuse themselves, and follow up on things covered by whoever's speaking in front of the room. it's not a student thing, it's just what a lot of people will do when given the opportunity in such situations.

personally, i rarely brought my laptop to class, but some people did. it depends on the situation. there are times when what's being covered is too dull to focus one's full attention on, yet too important to be physically absent from. this is a common scenario in the workplace, the lecture hall, and other forums of life.

on topic: to the op, i'd rec a macbook if you absolutely have to get an apple laptop. i wouldn't rec a desktop for college, as there are too many times when it's just handy to be able to bring your laptop with you, even if you're simply moving from your desk to your bed.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
Well having fairly recently been to college I will say this first. Do not get a laptop! Unless of course you have other uses.

They are useless for taking notes in class unless the professor uses a strict outline format. Try taking notes on a computer when a professor is jumping around on a topic and drawing diagrams. Secondly, they are more weight to carry around. When you have multiple classes requireing giant and heavy textbooks space in your satchel or backpack is precious. You do not want to be trying to stuff a laptop in your bag when you have five courses where you need to bring binders and books, nor make 15 to 20 minute trips to the parking lot to switch out books. Another consideration you do not want it as a crutch for classwork. If you want to excel in class and know your material visit the library and read books.

Honestly when I went to college I never touched my iBook unless I knew I was having a light workload day. At which time I would bring my iBook to watch a movie and that is it. For any course related work and general computer use I used my Powermac.

I whole heartidely recommend a Desktop Mac. If you want to save some money and do not need tons of storage nor a dedicated video card get a Mini otherwise get an iMac. The money you can save with the mini can go towards partying. Just so you know none of my friends used laptops in class nor had much use for them outside of class.

In my opinion I would say if you want to do well. If you want to learn, have less distractions and excel in your courses do the following. Do work with Pen and paper (only use the computer for your final draft), use the library and textbooks and do not use the internet for class work unless it is required. It took me a long time to figure this out but I went from a 2.3 GPA to a 4.0 every single semester.

/end rant

dead on. OP do what this person says. even though i have a laptop, i don't use it to take notes in class because most of the time, i have to illustrate a diagram or picture. it's much faster to do it the old fashion way than to try to do it on the computer.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
I started off college with a fully-loaded Powerbook G4. After sophomore year, I got a Macbook. I found that I really preferred the smaller package since I take my laptop everywhere I go. When in my dorm, I hook it up to a 20" LCD to get the benefit of the desktop computing experience. I think that unless you need the computing power of a Mac Pro, it makes much more sense to get a Macbook over the Macbook Pro and use the money you save to upgrade the RAM and hard drive.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I have to completely disagree with the "Dont get a laptop" deal. What if you want to go home on break? Would you trust leaving your desktop in a dorm room? I sure wouldnt.

Also for class depends what you are going for. I had to have a laptop in my classes because they were all comp sci and the penn state computers were WAAAY too slow so we all brought our own. Also a lot of people, myself included type a lot faster then I write. I would only use my laptop in my comp sci classes but it was nice to have in between classes to sit and do homework.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i second teh macbook, powerful enough for most students and sooooo easy to carry everywhere, and when you are in your dorm or at home, just hook it up toa big monitor tahst hwat i do,works like a charm i love it.. Also it's helped me a lot in between classes to keep up the work, i have a coupel of classe sthat are separated by two or three hours break, there is alot of work that you can do sitting at a uni lounge or student center in your comp, also facebook, flickr and MR to kill time if you have nothign else todo and just dont feel liek goignt o eat or something...

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I say get a macbook. I found having a laptop was great in the core classes. They seem to be classes that seem to have notes that flow really easily.

Now in your major it can depend. For my major it was mostly useless but it was having math and science base which are a lot of diagrams and formulas.

I did the committy college route and I will say the laptop was double great there. It let me take my notes else where with me. When I transfered it was nice to have a computer to take home with me. I did get a desktop my 2nd year at a 4 years unveristy and that became my primary computer. I hardly touch the laptop after that.

kmac07

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
I'm going to get a macbook because I commute to school and spend about 40 mins on the bus each way, every day. I know I could get a lot of work done with a notebook in my lap, instead of a shaky pen and paper.

This will be my first mac (and first laptop) purchase. I've seen ads for 'buy a mac get a free ipod' on campus at the beginning of the school year. Any ideas if this deal will be available again this year and possibly when? Last year's ad on the Apple Edu site says it started in June 2007.

ajmccoll

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
You're going to want to get something that will benefit you.

With that being said, what are you majoring in?

My personal experience with using a Macbook in school has been nothing but wonderful! I am a Mass Communications major (radio, television, newspaper, film, ect.) and unlike what others have been saying on this thread, I actually take notes on it! Of course my major doesn't involve drawing diagrams or pie charts, or anything like that, so it works for me. In fact, it helps a lot because if I'm learning about something and I want more information than what the teacher is supplying, I can just look it up on the internet.

So, choose the best thing for you. :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
In fact, it helps a lot because if I'm learning about something and I want more information than what the teacher is supplying, I can just look it up on the internet.

I completely agree with this! There has been so many times where the prof says something that interested me then hopped to the next subject so I do a google and bookmark the page. Problem solved :)

byocrysis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo, CA
I am currently a Senior in college. When I first started I bought a 12" powerbook figuring that I would bring it to school with me. I soon realized that the binders and books I had to carry around everyday were more than enough weight and I hardly ever used the powerbook, as there are many computer labs on campus and they are hooked up to printers which your laptop is not. I have since replaced the powerbook with a 24" imac and I couldn't be happier. Do yourself a favor and go with a desktop mac rather than a notebook, you will not be sorry.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I am currently a Senior in college. When I first started I bought a 12" powerbook figuring that I would bring it to school with me. I soon realized that the binders and books I had to carry around everyday were more than enough weight and I hardly ever used the powerbook, as there are many computer labs on campus and they are hooked up to printers which your laptop is not. I have since replaced the powerbook with a 24" imac and I couldn't be happier. Do yourself a favor and go with a desktop mac rather than a notebook, you will not be sorry.

so true. in my 5 years at college, i have never needed my laptop.

take his advice and get a desktop.

if you bring a laptop you just worry about it

Macvillain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Michigan
You're going to want to get something that will benefit you.

With that being said, what are you majoring in?

My personal experience with using a Macbook in school has been nothing but wonderful! I am a Mass Communications major (radio, television, newspaper, film, ect.) and unlike what others have been saying on this thread, I actually take notes on it! Of course my major doesn't involve drawing diagrams or pie charts, or anything like that, so it works for me. In fact, it helps a lot because if I'm learning about something and I want more information than what the teacher is supplying, I can just look it up on the internet.

So, choose the best thing for you. :)

I am majoring in Nursing, so i probably wont be doing anything graphically intensive. and thanks for all your help everyone.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I am majoring in Nursing, so i probably wont be doing anything graphically intensive. and thanks for all your help everyone.

Actually, you will be in classes where you will need to take notes, and I'd say nursing classes are more likely to include charts, illustrations, and other diagrams than, say, English or Communication. For that major I'd say a laptop is not necessary.

That said, there are other reasons to have a laptop in college. Some dorms are very noisy and the only way to get work done is in the library. Or you might prefer just to have the flexibility of computing wherever you want. As another poster recommended, security can be an issue with leaving your computer in the dorms (though I'd bet many more laptops are stolen than desktops at most universities).

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Personally, as a biology undergrad in the UK I find computers are far more a distraction than a useful tool. I have an iBook G4 (which I never use) and a Mac mini with associated 23" screen which I waste a great deal of time on.

Advantage of a laptop:

• You can chuck it out the window easily - with magsafe trailing power leads aren't a hindrance.

Advantage of a desktop:

• You can't actually take it to the library, if you ever managed to get out the door to do some work.

The only thing I *need* a computer for is email, as all the reminders & registrations come by it and I could potentially use systems in the department for that.

Get the worst laptop you can. Really awful. A 486 DX2 66 perhaps. And some books.

More seriously I've never ever taken notes with a laptop, nor has anyone else in the same lecutres. In my lectures it would be impossible, too many diagrams and too much stuff in general. Also, the keyclicking would probably induce your theatre-mates to stab-stab you in the face.

Most students buy their computer because they want to waste time, look cool(?), communicate, watch films, listen to music etc. Get the one you want. They can all do the work things.

The only thing that irritates me about my setup is carting my 23" screen (it has a huge stand) home at the end of each term. As such my ideal system would be a 17" MBP with the high-res screen. I like tweaking photos and use aperture a fair bit so 1920x1200 is really the min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.