Going to court for a pet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XNine, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. XNine macrumors 68040


    Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Here are the facts:
    -My ex and I of 3 years raised a Golden Retriever named George.
    -She bought him 1 year before we got together. However, the money was never taken from ehr bank account (the bank screwed up).
    -We lived together for nearly 1 1/2 years, in which time George lived with us in our apartment.
    -We split in May or June of this year.
    -George has stayed with her ever since, and has had brief stays with me.
    -He is a large golden that should be about 80 lbs, he actually weighs over 110+.

    I am concerned with how she is feeding him and not exercising him. Before I moved out, for about a month and a half, I ran every night with him about 1/2 mile. But was taking him on long walks before that.

    Can I take her to court for mistreatment of George and get custody of him?
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603


    Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Sounds like that will cost you some money Oni....Is she not willing to talk it over and that other stuff or its not even on a friendship level to even discuss it with you.

  3. iGav macrumors G3

    Mar 9, 2002

    It's her dog, not yours.

  4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040


    Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    he is god's dog.

    you cant sell god.

    ps: this is a play on words

    I dont like my neighbor's treatment of their dog, not that they beat em or anything, but its not my place to say HEY you can feed your dog extra food and get em fat.

    Animals barely have rights, and the owner has a right to overfeed the dog.

    If the dog got SO fat, his health is in danger, the ASPCA can be called in.

    but they usually only deal with dying and starved dogs.
  5. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    unfortunately, i don't think there's anything you can do. it's her dog - she bought it, whether or not the transaction actually went through.

    if you are concerned, talk to her about it. otherwise, there's nothing you can do.
  6. Ugg macrumors 68000


    Apr 7, 2003
    Unless you can prove actual neglect, it would be very difficult to get custody. Being overweight and not getting enough exercise isn't enough.

    You're obviously attached to the dog and that's great but maybe you'd be better off getting a dog of your own. If she saw you with one, maybe she'd be more likely to let you "borrow" George, knowing that you're not bugging her just because you want a dog.
  7. e²Studios macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005

    Court would cost a lot of money once you add up lawyer fees, court fees, and other misc fees and time that it would take to sue her in this fashion.

    I am not sure what your state offers, but you may want to look in to mediation instead of taking her to court.

    here is a link for more info http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/advice/19990630c.asp

    Again, not sure if this would work for you in your situation but just a suggestion.

    All the best to you,

Share This Page