Going to DC next week...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Time Clock, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Time Clock macrumors member

So I'm going to be going to Washington DC next week for a family vacation and I know that I'm going to have an absolute blast looking at all the history. I don't want to be stuck at the hotel, so I thought that it might be interesting to check out some of the (inexpensive) nightlife around DC. I figured that there would be some locals on the forums or anyone else who might know, so I appeal to you guys. Thanks in advanced for all of your help.

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Bump for you.

I can't really give you any nightlife advice but hopefully some others can. Obviously there is plenty to do with the museums and historical attractions.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Definitely go to the Air and Space museum near Dulles International Airport. They have the Enola Gay there, a Concorde, the Enterprise( prototype Space Shuttle), and a SR-71. You would have seen some of the planes there if you saw Transformers 2 as Jetfire was the SR-71 there. :)

As for in DC, go check out the WWII memorial as that is amazing. I don't have much advice for nightlife as I am not the partying/club type of person.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

In Georgetown: The Tombs - a bar underground with good drinks and a fun atmosphere. Any students still in town over the summer will likely be there (Prospect at 36th).

Also in Georgetown, after you're done at the bars: Philly Pizza. They just moved I think to Potomac at Prospect.

(If you just want to walk around Georgetown until you find something, these are the roads to stick to: K, M, N, O Streets, Wisconsin Avenue, Prospect St.)

In Adams Morgan: Grand Central on 18th. A pretty typical yuppie dance club and bar but a good time. Also, if nothing else, the building is interesting.

(If you just want to walk around Adams Morgan until you find something, these are the roads to stick to: Columbia Road, 18th St.)

In Chinatown, Jaleo is a good restaurant (tapas) but they have a pretty good bar, too.

(If you just want to walk around Chinatown until you find something, these are the roads to stick to: 7th, 9th, G, and H Streets.)

If you end up at any of these places and don't like the specific bar or club where you are, walk around. There are plenty of places in each of these neighborhoods in which I'm sure you can find something to do.

Enjoy your visit to the nation's capital.

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I'd agree with the Tombs. It's a fun place to be around that also has pretty good food too. I'd also very much agree with Jaleo. While I've never been to the one in DC, the one in Bethesda has great food and an interesting atmosphere as well (sometimes they have live flamenco dancing) and the DC one shouldn't be any different.

6. Time Clock thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of the advice. I definitely will be taking in as much history as possible. I've been to DC before, but it was basically for a day a couple of years ago for a tour of America's beginnings. There just wasn't enough time to check out everything that I wanted to. I have an 8GB memory card for my camera so I should have more than enough space for my touristy needs:cool:

I'll keep those places in mind that have been suggested. I have another question: are there any places that local bands play? I'd like to see what musicians on the opposite end of the country are playing.

7. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I think this is more of a mix of local/regional and national.

http://www.930.com/

I have never been myself, but I'm sure others have that can chime in.

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

The 9:30 club is more a concert venue than a club. It's nice and I've seen some great acts play there but it's not the place you want to go if you're just hanging out to admire the scenery and enjoy the local music.

Depending on how you enjoy your evenings, the 18th St Lounge is good. Excellent cigars and fine liquors in a really nice atmosphere.

MCCXXIII is okay if you want a straight up dance club. I used to have an office across the street. If I noticed a lot of girls going in and the odds looked particularly favorable... :D

I'd consider doing Georgetown during the day and would would skip it for the evenings. There's no metro access so you'll have to take a car or a cab and during the weekends, the main strip is less a road and more a slowly moving parking lot.

Adams Morgan is more accessible and I think it has much more character. There's usually a couple of joints during the weekends with live music. Start with Madam's Organ and then work your way around.

If you're looking for local music, your best bet is to talk the music geeks at record stores in Adams Morgan near 18th and Columbia. The guys behind the counter will point you in the right direction.

Old Town Alexandria's not a bad bet if you're a little older.

One spot to hit up if you're a beer guy from out of town is the Brickskeller, off of DuPont Circle. Over a 1000 varieties of bottled beer and most of it's not skunky, either. It used to be a very chilled, relaxed place before it ended up in a Lonely Planet.

As soon as you arrive, pick up the City Paper.

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If you want something cheap to do at night, you could go to a Washington Nationals game. I believe the "band" there plays a rocking rendition of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" :D

10. MLeepson macrumors 6502

The best part about going to a Nats(ionals) game is that a lot of seats are about 10 bucks. Just show up and buy a ticket!

I second quagmire's suggestion: you should visit the Air and Space museum at Dulles Airport.

Have fun!

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You never have to worry about sold out seats because the Nationals suck so much they don't even bother to go. And for the ones that do go, they keep on getting up and blocking your view of the game....... :mad: I never had that problem at Camden Yards or the old Yankee Stadium( where you expect New Yorkers to be rude :p).

12. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I grew up in the DC area and can honestly say there is NO reason to ever go to DC.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

But, that is because you grew up in DC so it isn't anything special. I also have been raised in the DC area and I find DC boring, but that is because I grew up around it. I am sure outsiders will find it interesting to see all the monuments, the White House, the museums, etc.

14. Time Clock thread starter macrumors member

In my opinion, the actual Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights are more than enough reasons to go. It kind of reminds you what the United States represents more than a photograph or photocopy ever would.

15. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'm of the opinion that the ideas themselves are more important than some piece of paper.

As for colorfastt. Well, suburban mind rot will do that to you.

16. Time Clock thread starter macrumors member

Obviously the ideas are what is ultimately the most important aspect, but actually seeing the documents is like going to an art gallery and seeing a Monet, Da Vinci, whatever artist floats your boat- it's much more effective. Or it would be like going to a concentration camp after reading about the Holocaust in class; you know what it stands for intellectually, you've seen the pictures, but the actual location is awe inspiring. My point is that the impact is much greater when you see the actual thing personally.

:D

17. Supersonic macrumors regular

OMG! :eek:

We went to DC for a week on our honeymoon last September and if you've not the beach bum type, and like to stimulate the grey matter between your ears rather than get sand between your toes and get drunk every night, then DC must have the greatest collection of museums, national treasures and sights of anywhere on earth in a relatively small city

Few cities are in the same league...London, Paris, Rome possibly...

The quoted comment is just staggeringly poor!

18. Potomac macrumors member

I'm into transportation (trains mainly) so the Air & Space and American History museums are must sees. I haven't been to the Air & Space out in Dulles yet but have heard its fantastic.

Just one peice of advice - Make sure you car, hotel, etc have working air conditioning. You're gonna need it!:D

19. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Cheap and DC don't usually mix.... but depending on your orientation there are some good clubs to hit up...my faves... Town(Gay) - $10 and UltraBar - can't remember.. But I haven't been up there long so I haven't been around... it really isn't amazing but you can find something to do if you put your mind to it :p

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

There's a whole bunch of places to go in the suburbs. I don't know about the Maryland suburbs...well okay, I don't know about the VA suburb hang-out spots, but I do know there's Buffalo Wing University that serves the BEST wings. They make you sign a waiver on one of their orders that say if you get hurt, etc you can't sue. Yes, it's that spicy. Definitely a place to check out.

Address:
    10312 Willard Way
    Fairfax, VA 22030-2508

I'd say that's about 15-20 minutes away from DC going on 495.

21. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

The dude's going there with his family.

22. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

But he stated that he wanted to go out in the city and out of the hotel, so I just assumed he would be alone :p