Going to do a clean install of Tiger :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nylock10, Jun 5, 2007.

1. nylock10 macrumors regular

My Intel iMac (2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM) has been painfully slow and unstable after updating my computer (some security update, I think).

After the update, Mail locks up, takes a while for my desktop to appear after login, iChat and Safari crash when I start them, takes 4+ bounces for an app to start.

My iMac has gotten slower over lots of usage and partitioning (from Boot Camp). I'm going to back up my stuff, boot from the DVD, repair the hard drive and do a clean install.

How can I avoid having this happen again? I want my Mac to be as fast as it was when I bought it.

Any ideas?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

A clean install would do it, but I don't know if you can do anything different to avoid the "problem."

I do all my updates and stuff and have never had a problem like that. Of course I don't have BootCamp either, so I don't know if that could case the problem.

Some regular maintenance with MainMenu or OnyX might help if things get a little sluggish, but overall problems like this are pretty rare.

3. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

I just did a reinstall of Tiger, and I'm glad I did! It's very fast now, seems like its the same speed as when I bought it. No more problems (and its nice and clean, no built-up junk).

My iTunes library works fine, too.