Going to do a fresh install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eddtr1, Jun 10, 2011.

1. eddtr1 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am going to reformat and do a fresh install of snow leopard over the weekend. I am using a 13inch mac book pro 2009.

My question is thus

I have backed up the entire pc with my time capsule. When I format and reinstall snow leopard can i copy over iTunes from the time capsule so that it works exactly as it did before, setting and all intact?

I have searched about and there does seem to be mixed ideas about this. I am hoping i do the install and using migration assistant I can pick and choose the apps I want the time machine to reinstate, is this a correct assumption or can i only do a full restore using time machine. Also I will want time machine to copy across my iphoto library and my documents will it do this as well?

Thanks

2. itsmrjon macrumors regular

I have personally had issues migrating an itunes db using time machine/migration assistant

My solution was to exclude it from backup and copy it manually from terminal to an external drive (this is to ensure protected and hidden files are copied), then copy it over to the new machine.

I actually currently have 6 machines running the exact same itunes libraries (which is nice because I can sync all my devices across these machines without having to overwrite the device), and if one machine has slightly different items then the other, it doesnt cause problems (just doesn't sync those specific items)

3. yashrg macrumors regular

yashrg

How do you achieve syncing the itunes libraries across the 6 machines?

4. itsmrjon macrumors regular

use terminal to 'sudo cp -r' your entire itunes folder to an external drive
    use terminal again to copy that external drive itunes library to new machine

all files will be exactly the same on the new machine

5. yashrg macrumors regular

yashrg

Oh, I also heard about an app called Syncopation that does this for you.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yep yep. I love being able to do this back when I would restore my windows computer every few months or so.

The problem is, it isn't that easy when you want to do this but put the files on an external drive :/