Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Hey guys. I read the stickys above, but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

I'm going to England in two weeks. The phone that I *used* to use is the original iPhone, which I just upgraded to firmware 2.0 thorugh iTunes 7.7.

Instead of just enabling my new iPhone 3G for overseas service (as it's bloody expensive) I'd like to take my old iPhone, which is not a brick. I repeat, it's not bricked as it was activated and I Just took the SIM card off.

I'm not interested in installing 3rd party application outside of stuff from the AppStore, I just need it to accept a T-Mobile UK SIM card. Is this possible, how should I do this? If it isn't, will I be able to in the next week to week and a half or so?

Also, an additional question. If I get a prepaid SIM card that also has data usage on it, are there any special settings I need to enable data transfer or will that all work out once I pop the SIM in?

Thanks guys.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
If I could get an answer to this, it would be great. I just don't know much about hacking the phone, I read the sticky, and am not exactly sure what I'll need to do...

lefse

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Hey guys. I read the stickys above, but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

I'm going to England in two weeks. The phone that I *used* to use is the original iPhone, which I just upgraded to firmware 2.0 thorugh iTunes 7.7.

Instead of just enabling my new iPhone 3G for overseas service (as it's bloody expensive) I'd like to take my old iPhone, which is not a brick. I repeat, it's not bricked as it was activated and I Just took the SIM card off.

I'm not interested in installing 3rd party application outside of stuff from the AppStore, I just need it to accept a T-Mobile UK SIM card. Is this possible, how should I do this? If it isn't, will I be able to in the next week to week and a half or so?

Also, an additional question. If I get a prepaid SIM card that also has data usage on it, are there any special settings I need to enable data transfer or will that all work out once I pop the SIM in?

Thanks guys.

If you bought your phone at an at&t store, i am afraid that an o2 SIM will not work, unless you unlock your phone. Currently there is no unlock for the 2.0 firmware.

I am in the exact same situation as you, and had to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.1.4 (unlocked) to get my iPhone to work on o2 simplicity (after upgrading it from 1.1.3 unlocked).

Hopefully Pwnage Tool 2.0 will solve all this, when it is released.

tdevers

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2008
Until there is a solution for 2.0 I'm leaving mine at 1.1.4 for this exact reason. I purchased it for international use only and I'm not going to be stuck with a glorified iPod. From what I've read the dev team is nearing completion with an unlocking solution.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
OK.

With the dev team stating that a jailbreak/unlock tool will be available soon for original iPhones running the 2.0 software, I have another question.

If I buy a prepaid SIM that allows me to use data, do I have to change some settings in the network section or will the SIM card automatically "tell" the iPhone's apps (safari, mail, weather) where to look?

Also, for anyone who lives in England. Is there a certain mobile phone company that I should get a SIM card from that has an option for data that isn't ridiculously expensive? I think I read that TMobile will cap your data price per day at 4 pounds, no matter how much you use...

dankell

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2005
I'd be suprised if you can find a good PAYG sim with data over here.

One of the big attractions of the iPhone has been the Unlimited data on the O2 contract as standard.

Mattwood

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
T-Mobile to have a 'data' deal on pay as you go, £10 top up on top of normal use per month. The information you have was for T-Mobile mobile broadband pre pay - which is different. (dongles for laptop/computers)

O2 you can pay £10 per month extra on your top up and have unlimited data (same as the contract) there is a fair usage policy. 3G coverage is not the best network in the UK but as it's a 2.5G iPhone your talking about then you'd be fine with edge.

Vodafone has pretty good all over coverage in the UK and they also do a data plan for prepay - don't have the detail with me.

you do have to edit settings in the iPhone to work with other networks SIM's including O2 prepay SIM's

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
O2 you can pay £10 per month extra on your top up and have unlimited data (same as the contract) there is a fair usage policy. 3G coverage is not the best network in the UK but as it's a 2.5G iPhone your talking about then you'd be fine with edge.

Excuse my n00bness, but would you mind telling me what all this means and how I go about getting it? From what I can tell, it's a pre-paid SIM card where I can pay them 10 pounds (sorry, no idea where the pound key is on my U.S. keyboard) per month and get "unlimited" (fair useage) data? Is there any plan in particular so that I could reference this when I walk into the store?

Thanks for the help everyone. Now here's to hoping that the dev team releases the tool within the next 6 days...

crabbo

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Is there any plan in particular so that I could reference this when I walk into the store?

If you ask in a O2 store for a iphone Pay As you Go sim pack it will cost you £4.99. After loading the sim with some money, you will be able to send a sms request to add the unlimited data/wifi for £10 per month ( the booklet in the sim pack explains all this).

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
If you ask in a O2 store for a iphone Pay As you Go sim pack it will cost you £4.99. After loading the sim with some money, you will be able to send a sms request to add the unlimited data/wifi for £10 per month ( the booklet in the sim pack explains all this).

That is awesome. 20 US dollars per month (I'll be there for 3 weeks) to have unlimited data? I'm definitely going this route, thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.