Going to Europe for 2 months, suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sstern1, May 21, 2008.

  1. sstern1 macrumors member

    Jun 24, 2004
    Heading to study in France and Italy for 2 months this summer. I have an 4GB iPhone here in the states. Any suggestions? I need a phone over there. And I'd like to be able to call my friends who will also have european phones, as well as receive calls from my parents and friends back stateside.

    Should I:

    Take the iPhone with my At&t sim and just pay the charges?

    Screw the iPhone, dial it back for 2 months and buy a pay-as-you-go in France?

    Hack the iPhone, use a simcard from over there? (which I have no idea how to do, by the way).

    I think having the iPhone would be pretty clutch when traveling on trains and looking for directions with google maps, etc. However I really don't want to spend a ton of $$$ on download fees.

    Any suggestions?
  2. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

    Mar 2, 2005
    Depends on how much you're going to use it I guess. Could you not get some kind of PAYG SIM from France and Italy?

    For a guide on unlocking check out the-iBlog by the way.
  3. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502


    Jan 6, 2008
    On the off-chance you make it to the UK here are some tips:

    The Brits have peculiar words for many things. Money is referred to as
    "goolies" in slang, so you should for instance say "I'd love to come to
    the pub but I haven't got any goolies." "Quid" is the modern word for
    what was once called a "shilling" -- the equivalent of seventeen cents
    American. Underpants are called "wellies" and friends are called
    "tossers." If you are fond of someone, you should tell him he is a
    "great tosser" -- he will be touched. The English are a notoriously
    demonstrative, tactile people, and if you want to fit in you should
    hold hands with your acquaintances and tossers when you walk down the
    street. Public nuzzling and licking are also encouraged, but only
    between people of the same sex.

    Ever since their Tory government wholeheartedly embraced full union
    with Europe, the Brits have been attempting to adopt certain
    continental customs, such as the large midday meal followed by a two-
    or three-hour siesta , which they call a "wank." As this is still a
    fairly new practice in Britain, it is not uncommon for people to
    oversleep (alarm clocks, alas, do not work there due to the magnetic
    pull from Greenwich). If you are late for supper, simply apologize and
    explain that you were having a wank -- everyone will understand and
    forgive you.

    University archives and manuscript collections are still governed by
    quaint medieval rules retained out of respect for tradition; hence
    patrons are expected to bring to the reading rooms their own ink-pots
    and a small knife for sharpening their pens. Observing these customs
    will signal the librarians that you are "in the know" -- one of the
    inner circle, as it were, for the rules are unwritten and not posted
    anywhere in the library. Likewise, it is customary to kiss the
    librarian on both cheeks when he brings a manuscript you've requested,
    a practice dating back to the reign of Henry VI.

    One of the most delighful ways to spend an afternoon in Oxford or
    Cambridge is gliding gently down the river in one of their
    flat-bottomed boats, which you propel using a long pole. This is known
    as "cottaging." Many of the boats (called "yer-I-nals") are privately
    owned by the colleges, but there are some places that rent them to the
    public by the hour. Just tell a professor or policeman that you are
    interested in doing some cottaging and would like to know where the
    public yerinals are. The poles must be treated with vegetable oil to
    protect them from the water, so it's a good idea to buy a can of Crisco
    and have it on you when you ask directions to the yerinals. That way
    people will know you are an experienced cottager.

    British cuisine enjoys a well deserved reputation as the most sublime
    gastronomic pleasure available to man. Thanks to today's robust dollar,
    the American traveller can easily afford to dine out several times a
    week (rest assured that a British meal is worth interrupting your
    afternoon wank for). Few foreigners are aware that there are several
    grades of meat in the UK. The best cuts of meat, like the best bottles
    of gin, bear Her Majesty's seal, called the British Stamp of Excellence
    (BSE). When you go to a fine restaurant, tell your waiter you want BSE
    beef and won't settle for anything less. If he balks at your request,
    custom dictates that you jerk your head imperiously back and forth
    while rolling your eyes to show him who is boss. Once the waiter
    realizes you are a person of discriminating taste, he may offer to let
    you peruse the restaurant's list of exquisite British wines. If he
    doesn't, you should order one anyway. The best wine grapes grow on the
    steep, chalky hillsides of Yorkshire and East Anglia -- try an Ely '84
    or Ripon '88 for a rare treat indeed. When the bill for your meal comes
    it will show a suggested amount. Pay whatever you think is fair, unless
    you plan to dine there again, in which case you should simply walk out;
    the restaurant host will understand that he should run a tab for you.

    Public taxis are subsidized by the Her Majesty's Government. A taxi
    ride in London costs two pounds, no matter how far you travel. If a
    taxi driver tries to overcharge you, you should yell "I think not, you
    charlatan!", then grab the nearest bobby and have the driver arrested.
    It is rarely necessary to take a taxi, though, since bus drivers are
    required to make detours at patrons' requests. Just board any bus, pay
    your fare of thruppence (the heavy gold-colored coins are "pence"), and
    state your destination clearly to the driver, e.g.: "Please take me to
    the British Library." A driver will frequently try to have a bit of
    harmless fun by pretending he doesn't go to your requested destination.
    Ignore him, as he is only teasing the American tourist (little does he
    know you're not so ignorant!).

    Speaking of the British Library, you should know that it has recently
    moved to a new location at Kew. Kew is a small fishing village in
    Wales. It can be reached by taking the train to Cardiff; once there,
    ask any local about the complimentary shuttle bus to Kew. (Don't forget
    that buses are called "prams" in England, and trains are called
    "bumbershoots"--it's a little confusing at first. Motorcycles are
    called "lorries" and the hospital, for reasons unknown, is called the
    "off-license." It's also very important to know that a "doctor" only
    means a PhD in England, not a physician. If you want a physician, you
    must ask for an "MP" (which stands for "master physician").

    For those travelling on a shoestring budget, the London Tube may be the
    most economical way to get about, especially if you are a woman.
    Chivalry is alive and well in Britain, and ladies still travel for free
    on the Tube. Simply take some tokens from the baskets at the base of
    the escalators or on the platforms; you will find one near any of the
    state-sponsored Tube musicians. Once on the platform, though, beware!
    Approaching trains sometimes disturb the large Gappe bats that roost in
    the tunnels. The Gappes were smuggled into London in the early 19th
    century by French saboteurs and have proved impossible to exterminate.
    The announcement "Mind the Gappe!" is a signal that you should grab
    your hair and look towards the ceiling. Very few people have ever been
    killed by Gappes, though, and they are considered only a minor drawback
    to an otherwise excellent means of transportation. (If you have
    difficulty locating the Tube station, merely follow the signs that say
    "Subway" and ask one of the full-time attendants where you can catch
    the bumbershoot.)

    Bollocks to your mum! ("farewell and good health to your family")
  4. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular


    Mar 15, 2008
    this is the most hilarious thing I've read on a message board in ages!
  5. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

    Jan 3, 2007
    i´d just jailbrake it and use it with a prepaid card... this way you´d also be able to check your emal and facebook or whatever easily on your phone and you´ll have all your contacts with you and i´m pretty sure it´ll be a lot cheaper using prepaid than using your att especially when you want to call people in europe ... ! you are probably even be able to find a proider that has edge... (edge is so 2005 in europe ;-) ) the whole forum is full of instructions and suggestions which program to use to jailbreak and the´re all really easy to use !
  6. Eraserhead macrumors G4


    Nov 3, 2005
    No way, if you use your phone for more than 2 minutes on the whole trip it'll be cheaper to get a local SIM, this applies to whichever country you are in in the world.
  7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 18, 2006
    Alicante, SPAIN
  8. iBlue macrumors Core


    Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    that was hilarious, evil, but hilarious. did you write it?
  9. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502


    Jan 6, 2008
    Heh heh sadly not...I came across it as a post on Usenet years ago and "kept" it on the off chance I would someday have an opportunity to repost it.
  10. due time macrumors newbie

    Jan 14, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Yeah. I spent two weeks in Germany (with the 'international data plan') and still ended up with a $500 phone bill. $100 of that was data charges. Since I used it for work, I will be reimbursed, but beware!
  11. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

    Jan 3, 2007
    using a prepaid card i´d would have been around 20-25 dollars on data with average use ....
    so if you pay your bill yourself... better get prepaid...
    obviously it´s ridicicously expensive when you want to call a friend in france and the call goes to from france to usa first and then back to france to his cell ... :)
  12. Romainf macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2006
    hahahaha, I've been laughing at my desk like crazy.... that was really good... I think I'm going to steal it from you!! ;)
  13. Xenn0X macrumors regular

    Jan 25, 2008
    get local prepaids. :D
    data traffic can be a bitch abbroad at 20 buck for 1 mb.
  14. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 24, 2004
    Can I get a local prepaid for my iPhone in France? how much is it?
  15. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

    May 10, 2008
    Just get a prepaid sim from Orange or somewhere. The sim will probably cost you 10 bucks. Problem sloved, you get a local number and you can text and call all you want.
  16. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 24, 2004
    And I can put that prepaid sim into my iphone and it will magically work on the Orange network? I don't want data over there, but how does that follow, isn't the iphone locked?
  17. STC macrumors 6502a

    May 14, 2008
    Thats why you unlock it before you get there.

Share This Page