Carrier Going to Europe. On Verizon.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aPple nErd, Jun 11, 2014.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

okay, so I'm leaving for eurpote tomorrow, and i want to have my phone with me to use ONLY as a camera and wifi only device. can i just take out the sim and turn off cellular? or do i need to do something else? i don't need to use cellular over there just don't wanna get charged out the butt for it. thanks!

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Just put the phone into airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi and you will be good.

3. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

"why not both?" lol i guess i will do that then.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

If you're interested, do yourself a favor and DL/install the "Verizon Messages" app, then activate it per its instructions. I have it on my iPad Air and one of my iPhones that I bring with me when I travel internationally and use only wifi.

That app gets the text messages sent to the phone number you assign to the app - it supports threads and you can respond to messages as well. I also keep it running on my iPad when I'm stateside - it mirrors my iPhone's text messages. Safe travels.

5. aneftp macrumors 601

So I assume verizon messages sent when you are outside the USA via the messages app or web app is "free" as long as it's over wifi?

6. campyguy macrumors 68040

The TMs sent/received by the VZW Messages app are per your plan - I have a (legacy) 250-message plan, and I've never been charged extra for staying within my plan no matter where I'm sending/receiving messages from the VZW Messages app. It's pretty slick...

7. patt2k macrumors regular

get a local sim card it will be cheap for you when you change $$ and use your Verizon iPhone.

I guess you would pay like 20$ for lots of data and texting depends where you going.

8. lilface macrumors member

Just went to Europe for a week in April, also on Verizon. All I did was turn phone into Airplane mode and connected to wifi when possible, worked out perfectly with no issues.