Going to Europe Soon, MacBook Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zwhaler, May 17, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm leaving for Europe (Germany) on Tuesday, and I have everything figured out except whether or not the power adapter for my American MacBook will plug in and work in the outlets in Europe. Thanks!

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

4. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Another advantage of the apple solution is that you don't have to buy new prong adaptors if you go to places like Ireland or England(but then again you will need them for your other gizmos....)

And of course that being said, I live in Germany and have a US macbook, and I just use a 1 euro prong adaptor. Works.

5. dsugarmoore macrumors newbie

I too am leaving for Europe soon, and while the adapter seems like a good solution for plugging in the charger, I wonder if some sort of converter is needed to convert the voltage of the charger for use in Europe? Or does this adapter solve this issue as well?

6. patin22 macrumors member

No power converter is necessary. Just an adapter with the correct prongs. Your current apple power adapter can handle an input voltage range of 100-240volts.

7. fishmama macrumors newbie

The prong adaptor set is the smartest and cheapest option for around-the-world travel. You can get a 2-prong adaptor at travel stores (e.g. REI, $3) and plug your U.S. prongs into the skinny, tiny prong adaptor (ultra-cheap!)... you can look around the airport on arrival and buy whatever is there... or you can search for an Apple store on arrival and buy a iPod power block, remove the prongs and fit those onto your Mac power block. The Mac power block does handle European voltages, though.

8. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Just got back from London. Walmart has a good adapter for $11 but you got to get it where they're luggage is. Worked perfectly and is about $20 less than other similar adapters were.