Going to Europe with 3.0 beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, May 21, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

i have a question that needs a serious answer! i am going to europe for about 15 days and i am currently running iphone os 3.0 beta 5 on my iphone. i leave the country june 4th. Hopefully they will have a new beta release by then but anyways should i take my macbook just incase my beta expires and my phone becomes useless for a few days? or should i just take the chance? i will mainly be using it to play games watch movies and listen to music thats all bc i am not taking my phone out of airplane mode! How long do beta's last before they expire? thank you!

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

one word: yes

EDIT: they last 10 days past the date of the next beta release if im correct... feel free to correct me

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'll also be paying like $3/min for calls; I'd skip the iPhone and just bring a cheap regular phone and buy a local SIM while you're in Europe.

4. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

no i mean im not using the phone or sms features at all just ipod and maybe some apps. I just want to know would it be better to jailbreak back to 2.2.1 or bring my laptop and have it handy just incase the beta expires?

5. brownbw macrumors newbie

I am in Europe right now, and using 3.0, I also hope I have a way of getting beta 6!!! BTW, get a Skype # with the unlimited calling (for $3/mo) and use over wifi - it sounds GREAT! No problems with it whatsoever, except the fact that you have to be on wifi - which there is nowhere (in Rome at least) that has free wifi. Safe Travels!

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

If you go back down to 2.2.1 you will still have the new firmware and you will not be able to get any cell signal at all.

Beta 4 just expired today. So you can try and figure out when beta 5 will expire. I'd just take your laptop with you though if it is very important.

7. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I learned my lesson not to mess with beta's anymore. :)

8. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

You non-Europeans really do need to get out more! Do you dream these facts or what? I'm not even going to inform you about rates in the EU - just get off your ass and take a look out of the window! Geeezzzz! :mad:

9. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

WOAHHH there. Get on that chair and help him, flaming sucks. :rolleyes:

Make sure Data Roaming is turned off, You don't want to get charged for internet!

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Did you guys even read the OP? He's not even going to take his iPhone out of Airplane mode. He doesn't need to worry about being charged for calls or data.

11. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Not flaming - informing! But notice I edited my original post.

12. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Fair enough, but that's not the point. These 'fairy tales' as though authoritative should stop. I hope that this forum can be informative not ego massaging. I know what I know and no more. What's to gain really?

13. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

what? the only thing you have left from 3.0 betas if you downgrade to 2.2.1 is the baseband upgrade. That shouldn't matter as far as service goes (at least it hasn't effected me.)