Going to France

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Feb 15, 2015.

1. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

We are going to France in a couple of months to visit family. We all have unlocked iPhone 6's/6 plus. Can anyone suggest a good means to be able to use our iPhones in France? Which company in France or is their a company here in the US?

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

I live in Belgium but go to France very very often. I recommend you to use 'Orange' they have the best network. http://www.orange.fr I don't know how good your French is but if you don't understand something you can always ask me
    Otherwise use SFR http://www.sfr.fr but they are far behind with their 4G/LTE. There is also bouyguestelecom but I DON'T recommend this carrier.https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr

3. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Will a verizon wireless iphone 6 work in France?
    Thank you

4. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

I'm not sure but it will work I think it's just that certain bands won't work. But go to your local Verizon Store and ask them.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even SFR (including La Poste Mobile) is still better then Bouygues.

+1 for Orange.

6. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Terrible idea..the store people are clueless.

Yes a Verizon IPhone 6 will work in France, however you may not have LTE.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

7. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

The answer depends on how long is your stay and how often you plan to use your phone vs texting. And if you wish USA friends to conveniently reach you.

A week only stay and mainly texting/data, I would just get a travel plan from your USA carrier. I have ATT. This way people in the USA will only have to call your usa number and its a free local call for them. And ATT we let you roam on all the French carriers. French family can text all they wish, and the price of local phone calls is not through the roof.

I never buy a local sim even for a 2 week stay. If you really need to have a local sim, there are some to buy in the USA. Do that so your phone works straight at the airport where you may want it first and most. Just google.

8. draver macrumors newbie

Your current iPhones have all the proper bands in use by French carriers.

What carrier are you with in the US? My experiences in Europe lead me to believe that T-Mobile in the US works well in Europe also.

AT&T has their "Passport" roaming service. For $120 you have 800 Mb of data, unlimited texting, and $.35 a minute calls to the US or locally.

Roaming on these carriers:

Bouygues Telecom
    Band 3
    Orange France
    Band 7
    SFR France
    Bands 7, 20

T-Mobile is the least expensive. They have FREE low speed data roaming, free texting, and $.20 a minute calls to the US or locally.

Verizon charges $25 per 100 Mb for data, and it looks like it's either $.99 or $1.29 a minute for calls, .$50 to send and $.05 to receive texts.

I have both AT&T and T-Mobile service and use TM while overseas. I go about twice a year.

9. Ulenspiegel, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

10. draver macrumors newbie

Well, macher has stated they have unlocked iPhone 6/6 pluses, so that shouldn't even be an issue.

The thread link relates to an unsupported claim that some Verizon iPhones are not carrier unlocked, and will not work with foreign sim cards.

This internet rumor seems to make the rounds every few months from what I've seen. It has never been confirmed on any forum or tech website I've seen. Quite the contrary frankly. They all have refuted the claim.

----------

According to the Apple website, it does have all the bands in use by French telecoms. Also, the Verizon iPhone 6 is sold in the US with the GSM radio unlocked for world use.

It should work fine. My Verizon iPhone 5s worked fine in France, Spain, Portugal, England, Belgium, and The Netherlands last year.

This year I have an unlocked T-Mobile i6 plus , with a Verizon 5s as a spare for my travels.

11. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

12. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Thank you

----------

Okay will do

----------

Thank you