Going to get new MA what screen size should I get

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mrskullfreak, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Not sure why one to get there a big price difference so I am thinking 11"?

2. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

it all depends on your portability needs. if you want a very good capable device and great portability then the 11 incher is a great little fella :D

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you value speed + storage over size, the 13" is actually a better price with the i5 256GB configuration. Personally I prefer the 11".

4. Xikum macrumors 6502

Personally I would always go with the 13" if I had the opportunity/money. The extra battery life, screen size and wrist space is just bliss compared to the 11" (in my opinion), and its not as if its not a portable machine; it is still one of the lightest and smallest laptops out there.

5. jltj macrumors member

13", unless the little bit of extra portability of the 11" is really really really important for you.

6. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Your signature says "soon iPad 3" It probably makes more sense to have the 13" laptop as a companion.

7. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I just bought the 13 MA on it now.
    But now I am thinking do I need this should I just save the cash I paid for this and get the ipad3 when it comes out.
    I just don't know if I will be happy with the iPad only.

----------

This thing is blazing fast,,,,,,,

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I think the question is Do you really need the iPad 3 now?

9. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I have an 11" MBA and an iPad 2. I don't think the iPad can replace the Air. I could do with out the iPad and just have the Air but not the other way around.

10. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Well - what are you doing with either device? The iPad has its strengths in battery life and content consumption (especially when lying in bed/sitting on the couch etc.), the MBA is better at creational tasks (e.g. typing longer texts, working with office or video cut applications).

If you're tight on budget, you could swap the 13" MBA for the 11" and use the money saved to finance the bigger part of an iPad (do you really need the 3 btw? Rumors have it that the 2 will stay in the market as cheaper entry model once the 3 is out).

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

As someone who sold their iPad 2 to put the money toward an 11in, perhaps I could give some input.

The fact is (in my mind at least), the iPad is all about fun. It's about content consumption. It's about doing the basic computing tasks in an ultra-mobile fashion, e.g. web browsing, Facebooking, Tweeting, checking email, etc.

That was my mistake. I tried to make it into a work machine. I kept all my course pdfs/lectures on it. I used a stylus to take notes on it. It worked for a little while, but it was forced. So after 4 months, I sold it and eventually got an 11in MBA. I need multitasking... in the sense that I needed to be able to have information side-by-side, be able to switch between windows constantly and quickly. The MBA was a perfect solution.

The 11in is, of course, a full computational device - you can use it to really do anything to your hearts content. It can do almost anything an iPad do, but there are three distinct disadvantages I've come across: No touchscreen obviously, worse battery life, and reading pdfs/books/lecture notes/etc. To be honest though, the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

In saying that, however, I think this year I might go with a 13in MBA and an iPad 3 just for fun. That way I can have an iMac at home for serious computing needs, gaming, homework, etc.. then an MBA for productivity on the go.. then an iPad for fun.

It's a tough call though when you have an iPhone. Sometimes laying in bed with my phone is easier than maneuvering around with an iPad. So meh, who knows.

Anywho, the 11in is an excellent machine. As is, imaginably, the 13in. Can't wait to see what 2012 brings.

12. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Having just purchased an 11" 128SSD I have completed my transition to a Mac life and have to say I am very happy and impressed with how easy my computer life is. Setting up a home network for windows is such a pain in the ass with all my Apple products its seamless. Now with the Air its even more portable than it was before. I also think that the 11" is the perfect size for the MBA its slim sleek ultra fast and fits perfectly into my new integrated life! Very very impressed!