Going to go from 7+ to 8+ and skip the X.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Newtons Apple, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not that I do not think the X is not a great phone but I quite like the 7+ form factor and hopefully the 8S+ or 9+ will have an OLED screen. I will keep my touch ID for a while longer.

Good thing about Apple is we have so many choices.

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

You are right about the choices part, but I am not sure I would go from the 7 plus to the 8 plus. In my eyes, I don't think there are enough changes. You are probably better just to stick with your 7.

3. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would except I have a family member who needs a phone badly and their birthday is at the end of this month. Still love my 7+

4. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Makes sense. Yea I have been super happy with my 7 Plus, but can't pass up on the screen on the X.

5. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I hope you enjoy, it looks like a great device!

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Well…you also use cases too, so there's that. :)

7. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Thanks! Hoping I can get my hands on one early on.

8. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yep, just ordered another Sedio Surface for the 8+.

9. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Same non-native non-OLED screen on the 8 Plus, smaller usable screen space on the X. To me this lineup doesn't seem to offer a lot of choice, but instead a lot of compromise, especially if you aren't planning to get a new one again in 2018.

10. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Genuinely curious what is compelling you to want to upgrade, just the 'newness' factor, prefer the glass backed design (I do personally), or problem with 7+?

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I'm 99.99% sure I'm gonna go from the 7 Plus to the 8 Plus and skip the X until next years version. Despite the fact the 8 looks pretty much like the 7, there are still so many improvements. In fact, apart from FaceID (which I would debate is an improvement), Animoji and Selfie Portrait, it's just the screen that's different. I'm happy with the Plus size.

12. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Nothing wrong with the 7+ what so ever, love it. Glass back is nothing as it will live is a slim Sedio Surface case. Money is not that big of an issue and I have a family member who is needing a phone with a birthday coming up at the end of the month. The pristine 7+ will make a great gift.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    I can not believe you would pass up being to add more to that equipment list!

13. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

• iPhone 7 - 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in) and 138 g (4.87 oz)
    • iPhone 6S - 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in) and 143 g (5.04 oz)
    "iPhone 8’s dimensions come in at 143.59 x 70.94 x 7.57 mm compared to the iPhone 7’s 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm."

Do you guys think that a 6s+ case will work on an 8+?

Looks like it will be a little bigger but a lot of people are saying the 7+ cases work for the 8+.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm going from 7+ to 8+, but my employer pays the bill so no out of pocket for me thankfully. I prefer the size of the 8+ over the X.

15. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I'm going from 7 plus to 8 Plus because I'm on IUP.

16. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The people at Sedio are selling cases that they claim will fit the 7+ and 8+. I knew the 8+ was a little bigger, if it does not fit, they will be getting it back.

What is the size of the 6S+?

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

6s+ - 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm (6.23 x 3.07 x 0.29 in)
    7+ - 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm (6.23 x 3.07 x 0.29 in)
    8+ - 158.5 x 77.98 x 7.62 mm (6.24 x 3.07 x 0.30)

Almost seems like it would work, lol. Maybe not. I have a brand new Sena Wallet case for my 6s+ that I'm "saving" once my current one dies cuz I like it so much (got second one for birthday).

Just looks like .32 mm thicker? and a tiny bit wider (.08mm)

18. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sedio says they are interchangeable. Looks like you 6S+ would also work if all the cut outs are the same

19. steelo3232 macrumors regular

I was going to get the X since I upgrade every year due one of the bevy of upgrade programs out there and the fact I, like many of you, have a yearly upgrade program. Ultimately, the notch and the realm of the unknown made me decide to get the 8+ and skip the X. I suspect for many, part of what they want the X for is "status" having the newest gadget out there. For a period, I had a Galaxy note because frankly Apple's small screens and phones were not cutting it for me and my USER EXPERIENCE. Luckily, a year later the plus variants came to fruition. I'm too embedded into the ecosystem now to switch, if I weren't, I'd be a Note 8 owner in a heartbeat.

To me, it does ZERO good to have the best looking gadget in the world if the experience using it is horrendous. Is the design of the 8plus "boring"? Yes, very much so. Is it bad? Not by any stretch. But I KNOW how the 8+ will function and perform Further, the way it works is familiar and I'm proficient using it. Not to mention the use of the UI on the 8plus will mirror that of my IPAD PRO... having two UI's in the same ecosystem is plain ridiculous in my opinion. Swipe up on your IPAD does this but do it on your "X" well.... completely different result and behavior.

If someone gave you a BMW and it ran 1/3 of the time or you only used the sunroof once a year.... would you miss your honda civic that ran 99 percent of the time and would you trade that for the look of a less than reliable BMW with the sun roof? In the case of the "X" animated poop emojis would be the sunroof.

User experience matters MORE than the look of the device; at least it SHOULD. I'll let the bugs play out and take the 8 plus this year. The fact that dang Notch is going to be obscuring content is also egregious. Can you imagine if VIZO put a big black bar on the side or front of their TV displays and your content went around them like the thing was cracked and broken?

The real question won't be in initial sales in my view. It will be how many people get the X... use it for a spell and trade it for an 8 because either
    A. The notch is intrusive and cumbersome to their experience
    B. Face ID is horrendous, slow, and less efficient than touch ID--- speaking of which, does face ID only survive this phone until they can actually embed the finger print scanner under the screen?

20. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I personally don't think there will be an 8S and 8S Plus next year. IMO, this will be the last year of a iPhone with a bezel and home button. I wouldn't be surprised that next year Apple will go back to 2 iPhones. The iPhone XS and a new XS Plus, both with no bezel, no home buttons and with OLED screens to compete with the Samsung S9 and S9 Plus. It's the end of the old style.

21. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

I'm thinking this too. Another reason to perhaps jump from 6s+ to 8+ and enjoy the last ever touch id iphone.

22. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

iPhone 8 is very close in size to the 6s/7: 138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3

https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/

23. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I'm doing it. I wasn't gonna. It was going to be my first year without an upgrade because I just really don't know how I feel about the X, and I love my 7+. But I'm on the Apple upgrade plan and I just go to thinking, "why not?" I could hang onto my 7+ til next fall and it would be paid off and I could sell it and get the latest and greatest, but I really love the form factor of this phone (I know many don't). I really like the size and was a little afraid of going to the smaller size of the X, even though I'd technically have more screen. I really like my Touch ID and am a little nervous about giving it up.

I have everything ready to order my 8+ at the touch of a button at 12:01 a.m., but after reading some threads, I'm second-guessing whether I should just keep my 7+ or go for it.

On the one hand I really don't need to, but on the other hand, why the heck not?

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Doing the same exact thing.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    The bolded dimension are the X, not the 8. The 7 is almost identical to the 8. .2mm difference.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

If that's the plan then they'll have to find a way to bring the price down then. They are not going to get consumers in the same quantity they have now if they only wish to sell £1k+ phones. It just doesn't suit the wide range of demographics that are already iPhone users. I'm sure Apple are well aware of this though as it doesn't take a genius to point out.