Going to have to start loving Apple Maps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pinksteady, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Lots of us probably prefer Google Maps over Apple Maps on our iOS devices.

Considering the only input method for maps on the Apple Watch will be Siri, which doesn't (currently) natively support 3rd party apps (although they can have their own dictation functionality), if you just want to lift your wrist and dictate some directions, you'll be using Apple Maps (just like Siri on iOS), even if Google release Google Maps for Apple Watch.

So, for those of us embedded with Google, we're going to have to learn to love Apple Maps.

I'd suggest using Apple Maps on your phone so you can start submitting corrections.

2. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I've already been doing this for handoff with the Apple Maps app for Mac and because I prefer the lock screen of the Apple Maps vs Google. I do still check Google for traffic and for route options when going places I've never been before to save myself from any Apple maps mistakes.

3. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I've been doing that. They're very slow to make corrections, but they do tell you they're done once they've done them.

The satellite imagery for my town was hopelessly out-of-date, but they just updated it last week after I submitted a list of inaccuracies about three months ago.

4. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I've been using Apple Maps since the start and never found it to be that bad. They gave me a few strange routes in the start but I got that from Google Maps occasionally as well. I submitted lots of corrections for missing roads and wrong POIs in the beginning and they went uncorrected for a long time but in the last year it seems that every correction I submit gets fixed fairly quickly now. My entire town's satellite imagery was in black and white up until the past few weeks but they finally replaced it with a more recent one in color. More people should give it a chance. I don't use Google Maps at all anymore.

5. kovey macrumors 6502a

Apple Maps is actually better than Google Maps in my opinion. It's cleaner and just works better. It doesn't send you on bizarre "shortcuts" or waste tons of screen realeestate with blank space. Also, Apple Maps tells you what street/road you're current on. It's such a tiny, simple feature that Google Maps still doesn't do.

6. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I have mixed results with both. Some of the searches I do for town names in Apple Maps come up with completely stupid results in different countries, when the town is a few miles away.

7. l.marcus macrumors newbie

l.marcus

My experience has been that the accuracy is drastically different based on region. I was thinking about being forced into using Apple Maps myself and so I started correcting things around me. I live in a terrible area for Apple Maps. I send about 15 corrections today (this is within about a mile of my work) but got sick of it. Can't they pay someone to do this for them? Apple Maps around here are still downright embarrassing.

I use Google Maps daily to find the fastest route to and from work as the fastest route varies considerably depending on traffic. I will miss seeing upcoming traffic as I'm navigating and, most of all, lane guidance. Apple does seem to do a much better job of displaying roads as you pass them while navigating which helps keep you better oriented but that's pretty much the only good feature.

8. kovey macrumors 6502a

Where are you referring to?

9. l.marcus macrumors newbie

l.marcus

Metro Detroit area, specifically Rochester Hills, MI.

10. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I occasionally do screenshots when the maps screw up...in what world is going right at a roundabout considered to be a left turn??

[​IMG]

11. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I've always been using Apple Maps. It works well. Now, I won't have to stick my phone on the dashboard for that.

12. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I wonder if or when Apple Maps will be updated to include public transit. Google Maps has always had this capability so one would think Apple would too.

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Always?

It wasn't added in the UK untill last May.

14. sterl320 macrumors 6502

"Initially"

15. kovey macrumors 6502a

My god, that font is absolutely heinous. Nice "benefit" of jailbreaking.

16. PRSGuitarist macrumors member

But which direction, relatively, are you turning to go into the roundabout?

17. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

the font took a bit of getting used to, but I loved it. Obviously I'm on 8.2 now so back to boring standard.

----------

what's strange though is despite the screenshot, the app had no idea there was a roundabout. Usually the message is take the 3rd exit etc, but in this case there wasn't...just a straight forward turn left.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

does the watch vibrate for turns? like once for right and twice for left? My pebble does this.

19. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Really, just that recent? I was sure I've been using it for at least the past 5 years, but I googled it, and transit info was included starting in June 2006 here in the US. The routing capabilities haven't always been perfect, but the integration with your local transit authority schedules has always been impressive.

20. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I been a big fan of Google maps over Apple maps. Love the offline feature of Google maps. I was able to get turn by turn directions on airplane mode while travelling internationally. I was amazed.

I will have to give Apple maps another shot as too. Haven't used it in a couple of years.

21. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Yep

22. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i only got 3b of data a month, the maps just uses all of it.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I guess I am fortunate and never really have to use maps....maybe 3 or 4 times annually. I guess it is good if you travel major highways often for live traffic alerts.

24. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't vibrate, but it will tap you to indicate different turns.

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I personally prefer Apple Maps, mostly because of its integration with Siri. I'm sure there's a way to change this, but the browser I use seems to dictate which one of them opens.