Going to Hawaii this Monday. Need Cpu.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Alx9876, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Alx9876 macrumors 6502

Alx9876

I do not have a laptop to bring with me. I will be gone for 10 days. Wifi is free at the resort I'm staying at.

The dilemma is that I don't have a computer and I will need one. I've been holding off this whole time for the new update. But I am weighing the pro's and con's on my vacation.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Buy a Macbook today with the free ipod touch or just tuff it out without a computer. I really want the updated or revised Macbook that is coming.

I will be busy during the day but it would be nice to download my pictures, and check my email at night. I'm also starting college the first week of September. So the Macbook is a must now or later.

This is stressing me out pretty bad. Money is not a problem since I just received well over 25K from the VA (military disability) all back paid in full from Feb 2007 till now.

If I buy the current Macbook I will be happy but if the new revised Macbook comes out with LED screen just for the sake of argument, then I will impulse buy that one too. I know I will.

I don't want to end up with two laptops. I'm so close to the new revised Macbook coming out but now were talking vacation time without a computer. Unless I find an Internet Cafe in Hawaii.

What should I do?

I'm upgrading from a Dell Dimension 8400 that is slower than hell. DOU Core came out 2 1/2 years after I bought this thing. I am ready to switch.

2. boxxer macrumors newbie

no offense dude, but what do you need a computer for while your on vacation in Hawaii?

The girls not enough to look at?

Your on vacation...in Hawaii, you will be busy night and day. When your not busy you'll want to sleep.
    I just got back from there in June (7 days in Waikiki and 7 days in Maui) and did not even think about my comp for the 14 days I was there.

Go surf, swim, meet girls, shop, see sites, take in culture. your emails and the internet will be there when you get back.

If you get there and absolutely cannot get by with out it, then there is an apple store at the ala moana shopping center in Honolulu.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

This is the first thing I thought of.

4. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alx9876

Yeah your right about the nightlife. I've never been to Hawaii so I wouldn't know what to expect.

But I was a party animal in Thailand a few years ago so if it's similar to that experience then I won't need a computer. Thanks for your post.

My post just showed you how long it's been since I've had a vacation.

kind of motivated me. :)

5. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I would just go without the laptop.. trust me it will ruin your vacation.. in addition to not going out and enjoying hawaii.. you will probably spend some time concerned about the macbook.. making sure it doesnt break or get stolen..

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Totally agree with other posters. Forego bringing a computer. It'll wait and enjoy your vacation!:D:cool:

7. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

I sort of agree.

Don't get a new mac to take on holiday, it would cause stress / get lost / stolen / etc..

However If you are like me you should take something. A nice little netbook like an eee possibly. Maybe a pda/phone with decent capabilities/ipod/iphone. Then you can browse occasionaly and won't get the shakes dues to net withdrawal!

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

9. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you're at the point where the thought of being on vacation without a computer is stressing you out, it's time to go on vacation without a computer.

Have fun :)

10. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Wait, if anything buy a used $100 laptop off ebay if you need internet at night. They put it back up on eBay when you get back.

11. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm sure there will be computers you can use at the resort your staying at anyway? Failing that an internet cafe isn't going to be too hard to find.

12. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

buy it. before 14 days return it. its like you just rented it.
    Seriously though your on vacation you shouldn't be visiting macrumors in hawaii.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No one needs a computer on vacation. I've taken mine on a few road trips and it helped me in terms of unloading photos and such. I also liked blogging while on vacation, but I didn't need to do all of that.
    I now think my iPhone and a few more memory cards suffice. ;)

14. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alx9876

You guys and girls are all correct on this topic. I haven't been on vacation in 3 years now so I've long forgotten how to relax without being so dependent on a computer.

The only real reason to use the internet is to check my bank accout every few days.

But then again the resort lobby will have a computer on hand for free.

Thanks everyone. I am taking all of your advice. Can't wait for the new update later on.:)

I can't wait to get out of here. Working in an office enviroment has distorted reality for me. I didn't realize how I sounded until I read the feedback from all of you. I'm embarrassed but then again it's been a long time.

15. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

One last piece of advice. Don't log in to a resort lobby computer and check your banking stuff. Most banks will let you do that by phone. You don't need to worry about who put what keylogger on the resort computer.

16. Eric. macrumors regular

I second the idea of getting a basic EeePC and a 16GB SD card so you do have decent storage. You should be able to get by with that for under $300 if you check eBay.

17. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alx9876

Wait a minute. Resorts do that?

Holy crap. Nevermind then. I will call it in instead. Thanks for the heads up.

18. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

It's not that resorts do it, it is the open access to the computer at a resort. Odds of an issue are low, but you don't want to be that one guy who gets screwed, so be safe.

19. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Don't worry about the computer when your on vacation dude...

Just take an iPod along for the trip and you'll be find.

If you really want something for internet, pick up a cheap Asus eee PC.

20. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Take a vacation away from the electronic leash. Only then will it really be a vacation! :)

There is so much to do in Hawaii, you shouldn't get bored. Although, it's not like Thailand, if ya know what I mean. Especially if you are referring to an area in Bangkok.

Anyhow, if you end up with nothing to do, then you haven't looked hard enough. :)

IMHO, this is the only reason that you would need to take a computer.

However, you can usually take your memory card to the local photo shop and they can burn a data or picture CD/DVD of your pictures.

Or you can just buy some more memory for your camera. These days it's pretty cheap.

Have fun! :D

22. carson44 macrumors member

Dude i cant belive you dont have an iphone?!?:confused: (living in the stone age):eek::eek::eek:

23. asme macrumors regular

And the cock-o-meter goes to eleven.

24. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alx9876

Problem Solved.

Hey Everyone, I just came back from the Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento. Spent my whole entire morning/afternoon in line at the Apple store. Arrived at 8am sharp, and at 1:45pm I have a brand new white iPhone 3G. Spent $337 dollars in all.

I will post pics soon.:)

I am so happy with my purchase.

25. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

haha, cool beans dude