Going to Jaimaica - AT&T questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pj rage, Jun 29, 2009.

1. pj rage macrumors 6502

I'm going to Jamaica next week on my honeymoon.

I have AT&T.

I plan to bring my phone (3g), but I don't really plan to use it unless it's an emergency. In fact, I guess I don't even know if it will have service at all. I'm just assuming that it will and that I'll be roaming or whatever.

I also assume that I would be paying an arm and a leg per minute, so that's why I'm not going to use it.

What I'm really curious about is the data. I won't be purposely accessing data services, but what happens if it tries to check my email or I accidentally launch safari, etc. Does anyone know how the charges would work or how I could just have data turned off essentially to avoid any charges? I know I could leave the phone on airplane mode the entire time, but what if I decide to exit airplane mode to make a call or whatever, and it accesses data while out of airplane mode?

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

You can turn off data roaming in the settings, then you will be fine as far as data use goes. (its off by default)

3. pj rage thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, thanks a lot. I didn't know that setting existed but seems to be exactly what I was hoping for!!

On another note, does anyone know offhand the rate AT&T would charge for calls and data from Jamaica?

4. SqB macrumors 6502

5. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

7. pj rage thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, that is exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

For anyone wondering wondering without clicking through the link, it looks like it's $1.99/minute voice, $.0195/KB data, $0.50 per text, and $1.30 per video/picture message. For any text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally, home pay-per-use or package rates apply.

8. lfine39 macrumors member

I was in the Bahamas and both my wife's and my phones pushed every 15 minutes for mail, etc I had a $1200 phone bill follow instructions please

AT&T Offers International iPhone Data Usage Tips
    Posted By benwilson On November 5, 2008 @ 6:30 am In Guides/How-Tos | 1 Comment
    In a recent email to AT&T’s iPhone customers, the company offered a list of tips that are geared
    towards minimizing international data charges when you travel outside of the US. According to
    the message:
    “AT&T knows that the mobile Internet on your Apple iPhone is indispensable to you. That’s why
    we want to remind you that international data usage is not covered under your existing U.S. data
    plan.
    “Your iPhone provides access to email, Visual Voicemail, Web browsing and other applications
    that can use a significant amount of data. It’s no surprise that you might find yourself using
    more data than you thought. AT&T wants to let you know of some easy ways to help minimize
    data usage charges when traveling overseas.”
    The tips for international data usage recommended by AT&T are:
    Turn Data Roaming “OFF” via Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming
    Use Wi-Fi Instead of 3G, GPRS or EDGE via Settings>Airplane Mode to “OFF” and select
    Wi-Fi to “ON” is an extra safety message to turn of the cellular radio
    Turn Fetch New Data “OFF” via Settings>Fetch New Data Change Push to “OFF” and Select
    to Fetch Manually
    Consider purchasing one of AT&T’s [1] International Data Packages
    Reset the iPhone Usage Tracker to Zero - to track your actual usage
    Settings>General>Usage>Reset
    As previously [2] noted, if you’re planning to travel overseas and want to use your iPhone for
    data transfer with AT&T’s international data plan, don’t count on canceling the add-on plan as
    soon as you get back. Readers report that canceling the plan before 90 days after the transfer
    has occurred will trigger charges for data at the full, non-international-plan rate.

9. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I got billled $2.29 a minute last month when I took the phone to Bimini in the Bahamas...:eek:

Cheers.

-J.-

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Turn data roaming off. I did that while in Europe and didn't have any data roaming charges, except for the one time I turned it on to get an important email and that was small enough that it only cost a few cents.