Going to Japan, AGPS questions

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sl33pyhead, Mar 24, 2012.

1. sl33pyhead macrumors member

One of the biggest reasons I'm getting a Verizon iPad is for the AGPS. I live in America but frequent Asia. I think I heard softbank was compatible for ATT users (hopefully now that verizon can cross over to att territory a Verizon iPad will work as well?)

So my question is if I buy a sim from a softbank store and pop it into my verizon iPad without activating a fee, can I still find my location from their towers?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The GPS will work even without a SIM or data connection however it will take longer to establish an initial lock on your position.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=922630

EDIT: I believe the Assisted part requires actual data to be transferred so you would need to activate the SIM. Otherwise any SIM should do just to connect to the tower.

B

3. sl33pyhead thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply and the link, I appreciate it =)

Correct me if I'm wrong, so Assistance would mean... it is the same as a GPS (from satellite) yet with the sim card, it will find your location faster with the help of the towers. Is the accuracy of the location determined the same? Yet only slower, without a sim.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. The assistance only helps it get a fix on your position when it doesn't already know where you are. If you use the GPS often it will get a lock faster.

Just beware that without the assistance it can take minutes to achieve lock.

B

5. cfs macrumors 6502a

I also frequent Asia but Softbank in Japan is difficult to get a SIM from. They usually will not give one to a non-resident unless your were lucky enough to find someone who would do this for you. If you don't here is a very good option:

http://www.econnectjapan.com/products-page.html

6. sl33pyhead, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

sl33pyhead thread starter macrumors member

^^^WOA! THANK YOU! the 4100 yen micro sim is really convenient if I can't get one through Softbank =D

Is this common or is econnect mainly for Japan? The disposable option would be helpful for Taiwan, HK, or any other countries for that matter. But that's great it works in the iPad! I wonder if there is a similar option like this for Americans (for those that have been deactivated for not renewing for over 5 months or for other reasons).

Again, i really appreciate it! The previous solution I found was around 100 dollars every 18 days (unlimited and hiiigh speeds, but still.)

7. cfs macrumors 6502a

I'm really not sure if they are throughout Asia. I don't think so but just email them. As you know Japan still cares deeply about customer service and they will probably get back to you ASAP.

As someone who visits Japan for about 40 days per year I have been looking for something like this for years. Softbank is brutal and for years they would only give out SIM cards to iPads bought in Japan or if you were a Japanese resident. Everyone else couldn't get one unless they were lucky. From what I know, Softbank hasn't changed their policy at all.

Since you need to pre-order through this company, I would do just that and not deal with Softbank because unless you are at some large independent electronics store in an arcade in Osaka you will have a hard time getting a Softbank employee to do this for you.

Softbank offers 1gb for 4,410 yen:

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/ipad_en/price_plan/

econnect is 4,100 yen for 1gb.

If it were me, I would just go with ecommerce instead of the Sorftbak headache.

The size of the SIM is 15mmX12mm. Is this the size of the sims used in the Verizon and AT&T ipads?

8. cfs macrumors 6502a

Tell me how it goes. I'm curious.