going to London again. Want a locals experience! Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tMac85, Feb 15, 2008.

1. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

ok so I'm going to London here in 2 weeks and wanted to know some great places to eat and visit. I have been before and have done all the big places and tourists spots. This time I would really like to get a real local perspective of London. For all you macrumor members that live in London, what are some great local and afdirdabe places to eat, drink , and visit. I'll be in London for 4 days and paris for 4. Looking for advice on London thanks

Tim

2. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

oh and i am staying in a flat right outside of kings cross, pretty much dead center london.

Thanks

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'd say get out of London and see some more of the country, we have so much more to offer than just London.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I work in Kings Cross and know the area very well. If you can be more specific about the kind of bars, pubs and food you like, what kind of budget you might be on, then I'll post some tips that are relevant to you. :)

5. Queso macrumors G4

If you like Indian food Drummond St. behind Euston Station is the place to go. There's all sorts of different cuisines from the sub-continent. Well priced too.

And you have to try a Gourmet Burger Kitchen if you're passing one. They're scattered about the place, but I think the closest to Kings Cross is in the Brunswick Centre. There's another in Soho on Greek St (I think, it may be Frith St though) and there's a third across the road from the main entrance to St. Paul's Cathedral. Definitely recommended.

6. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Camden market is always worth a visit... otherwise I'd probably have to agree with scotthayes, visit Bath or something, much nicer and bit less hectic.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Seconded without hesitation. :)

Expect to be full all day. The last burger I had there was about 7 inches high. I couldn't finish my fries. :D

8. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

Well im on a somewhat tight budget. I mean, im not going to go out and spend more than 15 pound on a meal, but i really just want to experience some small good, decently priced food, and bar, that the locals suggest. Maybe off the beaten path ( but not to far) and then some places I should visit/ hang out.

Someone told me of a bar way atop some tall building, near hyde park, you get 360 views of london....Sound right at all?

Also some great places to get snacks... like on the go. Good little sandwiches deserts. The gourmet Cheese burgers sounds awesome! we will have to get some of those. What are the prices for those... thanks.

Any advice is great advice guys..

9. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

YES! this is what im talking about!

10. Queso macrumors G4

GBK is definitely in your price range then. Depends on what you have, but it tends to come in around £10 a head. Like BV says you don't need to order much because the burgers themselves are very filling.

You could also give somewhere like Wagamama a try. It's noodle based food. As with GBK there's several restaurants, and they aren't expensive.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's touristy but not sure if you've done it before.

If you get a nice day, then go for a wander along the South Bank. Start at London Bridge (and if it's a Friday/Saturday) wander through Borough Market, then walk your way along the river. There are lots of pubs to stop in at, the Tate Modern and the National. It's probably my one of my favourite ways to spend an afternoon with visitors to the city.

There's an excellent company called London Walks that do guided tours round some of the less well-known bits of town and tell you things that you might not otherwise find about.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen is good but can be slow so not necessarily great if you're in a rush. Strada for good pizza, Wagamamas for noodles, HK Diner (in Wardour St) for great Chinese. All of them will fall into your budget. Take a wander round Soho - there are lots of good cafes, restaurants, bars and little interesting shops.

I'd give the shows a miss unless you can get some half-price tickets at Leicester Square or you're really keen on seeing something.

The 360 degree bar? I think you might be talking about the bar/restaurant at the Hilton on Park Lane. I wouldn't bother. You get a better view of London from the London Eye.

12. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

Thanks, this is the kinda info, stuff im looking for. Just a wide range and we will decide what we want to do and what we have time for.

Do you suggest the big red buses? (double deckers) or are they just over priced tourist traps?

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I've never been on a guided bus tour so no idea what kind of value they offer. The walks tend to be about £5 or £6 for 2 hours or so and the guides tend to know enough that you can ask lots of questions.

Otherwise, big red normal buses are great. Best way to get round the city if you still want to see stuff - they're usually slower than the Tube but more people-watching opportunities.

Buy a 3 day travel card or pick up an Oyster card - that'll cap your fares at the price of a one day pass.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is where I go for my lunch at least once a week and it's pretty damned cheap. You can sit down and get a set menu lunch for less than £5.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1153/22805.php

If you like the idea of cheap Thai and Chinese food and where a lot of locals eat, then give this place a try. The exterior has changed, it's now yellow.

Also thoroughly recommended for a unique and lovely pub experience in Kings Cross:

King Charles I

:)

15. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

If you want a quiet pub not too far from King's X. There is The Albert near Primrose Hill. Afterwards you could have a walk through Regent's Park or a walk round London Zoo if that took your fancy.

16. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

If you like thai food, I've been here and it's great and not too expensive.

17. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Bingo. Catch a train somewhere for a look around. Devon/Cornwall, Hampshire/Surrey. You get a better feel for places if you spend time outside of the cities as well.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

There's not too much of it left. I doubt it'll be open in 2 weeks anyhow.

19. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

What is camden market any way?

20. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

If you're staying near Kings Cross http://www.carluccios.com is an amazingly good Italian restaurant with very very reasonable prices. I would definitely recommend it, and the nearest one to you is in the Brunswick centre (I was there today, mmmmmm).

Also near you is the British Museum, I know you said you had done the touristy stuff, but if you haven't been before it truly is worth a visit.

Edit: Cambridge is only 50mins away if you get the quarter past or quarter to. +many other cities as others have mentioned, but Cambridge is so beautiful for a tourist.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I'd argue it's a slightly above average chain rather than amazingly good. Their deli is good but pricey. The restaurants are OK price wise but can be hit and miss depending on the particular one you're in. There have been a few times where the Penne Giardiniera has been vastly overcooked. :(

Another bar worth a visit is the Blackfriars (unsurprisingly near Blackfriars station). Its interior is amazing - and the food there is surprisingly good and heap.

22. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Camden Market: It's made up of a few markets. Mostly clothes but you can find various other things. You'll find lots of Chinese/Thai food stands in the Stables Market.

For food I'd recommend:
    Nando's
    Japanese Canteen
    Maoz Falafel
    Wagamama

Covent Garden - always a good place to go. You'll often find street entertainment there which can be quite interesting. There was a mime artist there a while back.

Soho area - interesting area to walk around and explore.

23. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

wow you guys are giving me quite a list.

as for places to visit? I have been to the bridge, the well known churches, eye, the theaters, the tower(?) (where the crowned jewels are)... buckingham(sp?) and hyde park.

and where else?? the British museum sounds nice..

thanks for the help guys... really appreciated!

24. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Natural History museum is great, a little dated but still great. Any major museum in London is defo worth a look. Make sure you have plenty of time to look around properly. British Museums owned by the gov are always free luckily, they just have donation bins at the entry doors.

Probably agree about Camden market actually, in hindsight it probably wouldn't be great after the fire last week! :eek:

I still think getting out of London is one of the best things to do, but if other people in your group haven't been to London before it may still be worth it!

Also I will recommend Wagamama's too, we have one in Bournemouth and I go regularly. It got voted London's best restaurant of 2007 I believe?

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy England/UK :)

25. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Some of the spots I like in London are;
    Monument (commemorating the Great Fire - climb it for some great views)
    Greenwich Observatory (take the Dockland Light Rail and use the Foot Tunnel under the Thames)
    The Globe (Shakespeares Theatre)
    Soho Square (to chill out)