Going to London

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ATD, May 22, 2007.

1. ATD macrumors 6502a

I'm going to London in about a month from now with my wife and 8 year son. I have been to London about a dozen times and have seen a lot of the big sites, this time I would like to take a more insiders view and see things that aren't on page one of the travel guides. What holds my interest is design, architecture and art. My wife loves the theatre/Shakespeare and my son, well.. Star Wars, Spongebob and Harry Potter. I sure for my son's benefit we will be going to some of the name sites. I know there are a lot of Londoners here, any ideas about different things to see that are not on page one?

Thanks

2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

how about using flickr.

do searches for things that you might like to see. You can search using the map or use london as one of the keywords..

just an idea.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not really arty...but if you haven't already...GO TO CAMDEN MARKET ON A HOT SUNDAY!!!...a great atmosphere...relaxed, hippy-ish at times, and always really fun!

4. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Pick up a copy of the Time Out. G0to the design museum. There must be loads of museums you've not visites- especially outside of central london.

5. ATD thread starter macrumors 6502a

peterjhill
    Had not thought of flickr, thanks.

psychofreak
    My wife LOVES stuff like that.

geese
    Time Out has always been a good source, thanks for the reminder. We will not have an internet connect so I got to plan before I go. I have been to the design museum and plan to go this time. Most of what I have done has been in central London so it's a good time to start looking farther out.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Remember, you can always pop into the Apple Store if you want a quick free go on the internet :)

7. ATD thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good idea!:D

Hope I can keep my wife away from the iPhone at those UK prices.

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

When I went to London, I stayed with a friend who showed me how to get cheap theater tickets in the tube station. Saw the producers. Got great seats for 25 pounds. Matinee but still an awesome theater.

Definitely do theater.

9. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

For your wife (and maybe you) and even if it is on Page One, the Globe Theatre to see Shakespeare.

As an adjunct to Camden Market, the Portobello Road Market

Near outside London, for all of you, Hampton Court Palace and Hever Castle, where Anne Boleyn was brought up. Falconry displays etc and a typical Tudor family castle!

Enjoy your trip... :)

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Easy it wont be out over here in a month or two.

Have you taken your kids to the science museum. I went there last summer to see 20 years of Pixar exhibition and spent the entire day, brilliant, obvious but brilliant.

Covent Garden is also pretty cool if you want a market, often found a neat little tucked away market around the back streets down there.

Could also do a Bansky tour, there is even a little shop (will try and remember where) you can visit if you are feeling flush.

There are also a number of Henry Moore's work around if you know where to look.

11. ATD thread starter macrumors 6502a

jng
    If my wife had her way that's all we would be doing. I used to get tickets at the half price shops, is the tube better and which station?

UKnjb
    Yep, the Globe is my wife's number 1. I have not been to Portobello in a very long time, that's a good idea. I have to show my son a good Castle or two. We looked into the Harry Potter tours, not sure if they are worth it or not.

Thank god.

Banksy is an interesting idea!

12. iGav macrumors G3

The Old Truman Brewery.

If your son loves Harry Potter, you should get on a train at London Waterloo and moochy on off to Martins Heron Bracknell, because that's where Harry Potter lives. ;)

There's also Star Wars: The Exhibition at County Hall in London.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Don't forget to climb the dome of St Paul's… Hairy and scary on a windy day but the 17th C engineering is awe inspiring. :D

And John Soane's House (museum).

15. Queso macrumors G4

Here's the current programme at The Globe.

Here's some more info on the Star Wars exhibition mentioned by iGav

The Design Museum is part of the Butler's Wharf complex near Tower Bridge.

If you want to get out of town a bit, Richmond is always worthy of a visit (Hampton Court is down that way), and further afield for the medieval side of things you could always go to Arundel in Sussex, which is quite reminiscent of Hogwarts.

16. dcv macrumors G3

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

portobello road's always fun, I like approaching it from goldborne road and then walking down it and back picking things up on the way back picking something up to eat, then stop off at meanwhile gardens by the canal, there's a small vegeterian food stall outside a shop just before you hit the flyover on the way back, the food there is fab.

Seeing this thread has inspired me to make more interesting plans for when I'm in london next week :eek:.

I never have acctually been to the V&A, I've been meaning to forever. I've been to the natural history and science countless times just never the V&A for whatever reason.

18. iGav macrumors G3

It's a shame that the Design Council closed their exhibition space on Haymarket back in the '90's because they always had some fresh design exhibitions on, easily rivalling it's much more famous sibling The Design Museum.

Unless there's something you really want to sea on at Tate Modern, I'd give that miss because it's unbearably busy now... and only worth tolerating if there's a must see on.

I think you'd be better frequenting the smaller gallerys. Might be worth finding out what's on at The Photographers Gallery. Might be worth checking out if there's anything on at SEA or Kemistry too.

There is a open studio type festival on at the moment, with a dozen or so studios and boutiques opening their doors... I forget the name though, that might be of interest. Give me 5 and I'll track down a link down for you. <edit>I'm beginning to think I must have been imagining this one, because I can't find a trace of it.

You're just going to miss out on the V&A's Village Fete too.

19. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

You could try The Building Centre if architecture is your thing. Just off Tottenham Court Road.

In between the Globe and the Design Museum visit Borough Market for some nosh. Fridays are slightly smaller but less crowded, Saturdays get very busy, especially if the weather's good.

Spitalfields is also worth a visit on Sundays, then you can move along to Brick Lane and the Old Truman Brewery mentioned earlier.

20. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

For the art you can try Cork Street, tons of tiny galleries and sometimes you can find something really special...

Although I only ever go into the ones where you don't need to ring a doorbell...Alan Cristea is my favourite. :)

Speaking of Banksy a new one was just found in London

21. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Why not goto Stratford-upon-avon? A nice day trip out of London.

Or for nice countryside stroll, goto Epping Forest? Far east of the Central line. Nice day out walking in the forest, you might catch a sight of a deer. A couple of nice pubs in the area.

Or theres Hampstead Heath? The view of London from Parliament Hill is amoungst the best in London.

Go the Brighton if the day is sunny- a nice, if busy, beach. Have fish and chips and a pint on the beach.

Why not spend a couple of days outside of london? There are some wonderful beaches, and areas of natural beauty in Norfolk (near Cromer). Maybe hire a boat?

22. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Did you mean Arts Unwrapped? Or the Camberwell Open Studio Weekend? Or Cockpit Arts?

23. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

After reading through the thread, I'd like to second, third, etc. the following:

London Eye. It is somewhat expensive, but it will give you a great view of the city

The Underground: Use it to get everywhere.

Museum of Transport: If you like the Underground, here is a fun way to spend two hours

British Museum: Here lie the spoils of empire

If you have not found a place to stay, look for a bed and breakfast. My favorite area for B&Bs is Bloomsbury. It is near the British Museum and within walking distance of lots of stuff.

Take one of the double decker bus tours on a day that isn't raining and sit up top and have your camera out.

Don't walk too much your first few days. Just because you can. Wear good shoes. Our legs were killing us by the third day.

Time Out is awesome. Get one before you go. You can spend hours looking through it and finding out what plays and musicals you want to see. In ten days in London we saw ten shows. Some of the stars we saw:
    Ian McKellan, Joseph Finnes, and the guy who played Niles on Frasier. We went to many of them during the day. For some shows, you can get good tickets day of the show at the box office cheap.

Here is my set of flickr photos from our trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterjhill/sets/72157600122991526/

Good luck!

24. iGav macrumors G3

That be the one. ;)

25. ATD thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow guys thanks for all the ideas!

The Old Truman Brewery looks good, is that new?

Thanks for the tips on HP, I looked into the tours and they are pricey.

Funny how I have taken my son to the Fox lot and there's very little Star Wars to see (The guys in the art department gave him a handful of posters so he didn't walk away empty handed) but if we travel to London... I'm sure he going to be thrilled!!!

The V and A is at the top of the list, my wife and I went there about 10 years ago and loved it, not sure if my 8 year old is going to like the Tate.

I love St Pauls, John Soane's House is one I haven't seen, looks interesting.

The Open Air Theatre is a great idea, my wife is going to love that.

I took my son to the Natural History, Science Museums and the Eye two years ago, he loved it.

Lots of great galleys and markets here that I haven't been to, thank you. Lots of homework to do.

Outside of London is something I haven't done, thanks for all the ideas.

BTW I take the Underground everywhere. I love the Underground and find it fascinating. The first time I went to London was when I was 15. I went with my dad, he was on business so I spent my days going everywhere on the tube. I found it as fascinating as the places it took me to. Is that weird? The Museum of Transport is something I'm going to check out.

I love London, thanks everyone! :)