Going to mac for first time. A few questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ethereal Divide, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Ethereal Divide macrumors newbie

I have a few questions. I currently have a e-machines desktop with viral problems my software didn't catch and breached security that will cost $300+ to remedy. This is my 2nd e-machine in 3 years and 4th pc in the last 10. I want something that will last plain and simple. I've never had a laptop but I am pretty sure I will be purchasing a entry level 13" Pro very soon as a replacement for my desktop. Nothing I do has ever been graphically taxing on a pc simply because I've never had something good enough to do things like that on. Home movies, pics, etc. I would love to considering how many I have that are just sitting on tapes and discs and I would love to use applications like the geneology one I've seen for macs. Plus for this amount of money you can bet I will learn how to use everything a Pro can do and get my moneys worth. But I have a few questions before I take the plunge for sure.
    What is the average lifespan of a Pro? I know there are always lemons out there and I don't plan on being stupid with it, so under the best possible circumstances how long can it last. I would not be interested in upgrading and such every time there is a refresh or going out there 3 years down the line and buying a replacement just because it's the latest and greatest. I use my stuff till it's limping into the grave.
    Are there really overheating/fan problems with these new units?
    Is this unit good to use as a desktop replacement? Is it tough getting use to having no mouse?
    I don't game on pcs, again because mine are always pos, but just for poops and grins. If say I wanted to run that World of Warcraft game on this, is the gpu good enough for it? I've heard lots of noise about the HD 3000.
    Lastly and this is semi related. Is there a product that can take hi8 videos being played from a camcorder with only A/V or svideo outputs and send the to be recorded on a Pro through the usb/firewire port? An adapter of some kind.
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There is always a chance something could go wrong with it so buy applecare, that will guarantee that any problems are fixed for 3 years. However most likely it will last longer than that. I used a powerbook which the mbp replaced until it was about 5 years old, and I'm pretty sure it still works if I wanted to turn it on, so they can last a long time.

as far as importing old videos, I have done that with an eyetv, it works well, mine is pretty old though so I'm not sure which model to recommend. Someone else can probably help with that.

3. simsaladimbamba

Three to five years, sometimes longer, but since the MBPs have been only around for five years, no one knows.
    Many people still use their G4 PowerBooks and I even met people who still used their Pismo, which is a PowerBook from the late 90s.

The unit isn't out for more than a week, therefore not enough statistical evidence outside of help forums is available. If you get a defective unit, Apple will replace it.

For many it is, as it can use an external display, keyboard and mouse - the trackpad of the MBP is not hard to get used to, but after getting used to, you don't want to use inferior trackpads.

Seems so: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102149

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/Video-Capture/product1.en.html

For more information about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

I'm on my 3rd year with my current mac. I use it 10-12 hours per day.

Prior to that, I was never able to get more than 12 months out of my PC equivalents. Toshiba, Dell, HP, Acer... I've owned 'em all. Keys would stick or fall off, batteries would degrade after a few months, screens would "dim" over time...

...they're cheaper because they're crap.

The only reason I went to a mac was because of the build quality. I couldn't care less what OS it runs. There are apple related horror stories to be sure but not from me. Right now I do have some pixel burnout but I'm not worried. I'll run it in for free service under AppleCare when it's convenient.

Yes. You have a multitude of options. it's best to run that Hi8 Cam through another camera that has digital "pass through" (Using firewire).

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The Trackpad works great for switching applications and a few small commands with all the gestures that your can conifgure it with and for a trackpad it is very precise and quite fast. Still it is no match for the precision and speed you can get with a mouse.
    But why would you have to get used to living without a mouse. Almost anybody I knew uses at least at home a mouse with their notebook. Just because you have trackpad doesn't mean you cannot use a mouse anymore. For some stuff a trackpad just sucks and is incredibly slow. While you probably don't need to carry a mouse around having one at home is not a bad idea.

As to the livespan. What breaks in those notebooks is usually the tech stuff, like logic board, hdd etc. And that stuff is the same as in any other notebook. A MBP lives about as long as any other notebook. It might look good for a longer time because it is no plastic stuff but the interior is the stuff that can break and that is unlike the aesthetics the same as in a Dell, HP, Sony or Lenovo. Get something like applecare and keep heat under control. Most electronics like chips in notebooks are build and tested to last 3-5 years. The hotter the sooner unless you violently break it.

Macs run hot and thus have at least as much or more problems when they get older. They fail like any other that doesn't mean they cannot last you a very long time but so can Lenovo Notebooks. In general I would guess a Thinkpad or Dell Latitude is more likely to last long than a MBP. Personally I would get a Dell Latitude if my #1 feature should be a long lifetime you can also get a longer warranty than with Apple Care.

6. Ethereal Divide thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the replies. The heat issues some people are reporting I hope are limited and I won't have to deal with that problem myself. Although it is the one thing that is making me leery, could just be the regular nerves that act up before a large purchase.

7. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Just switched to Mac myself this past Sunday. Got the baseline 13", and this is also my first laptop.

The trackpad is phenomenally easy to get used to. I love the thing and haven't used a mouse yet. The gestures are intuitive and easy to remember.

The keyboard takes a bit to get used to, as it feels much different typing on a laptop keyboard. Not sure if this is applicable to all laptops or just the MacBook Pro. But even that feels more and more natural as time goes by.

Enjoy!