Going to max out my old macbook ... what are the limits?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jordz, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Jordz macrumors member

Jordz

Hey everyone,

My plan is to get a 27inch imac at some point in the near future and keep my old macbook (white macbook, 2ghz - 1gb ram original hard drive was 80gb). I want to upgrade it and max it out really. Are there any limitations on what I can put in it?

I want to put in a 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive and 4gig of ram in it... I need to clarify if this is possible?
    I also want to know if there'll be a massive difference between sdram and normal ddr2 ram?

thanks

Jordan

2. Hammy :) macrumors newbie

Hammy :)

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure the dimensions for the 1TB harddrive should be fine for you. Not too sure about the RAM though.

Hope this helped :p

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I would be careful, as Apple put some SATA controller restrictions on the older MB models. IIRC they can't accept a 1 TB HDD, or go beyond 3 GB of RAM based on the chipset's limitations.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Nope. The 1TB 2.5" drive is 12.5mm thick, the Plastic MacBooks, at least the non "unibody" ones can only take a drive 9.5mm thick. For the maximum ram, hit up www.otherworldcomputing.com and see what they say for your spec'd MacBook.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you have a Core Duo processor, the maximum RAM that you can install is 2GB. If it's Core 2 Duo, you can install 4GB but only utilize ~3.3GB of it. This holds true for all of the MacBooks that were pre-Late '07 (Versions 1,1 and 2,1).
    Then starting with the 3,1 (Late '07) you're able to utilize the entire 4GB.

The hard drive restriction would be the 9.5mm height as mentioned. The largest currently is 500GB.

-GDF

6. Hammy :) macrumors newbie

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The 2.5 inches refers to the width. The 9.5 or 12.5 millimeters refers to the height.

8. jbuk macrumors regular

9. Hammy :) macrumors newbie

ah thanks...