Going to New York, can I get a cheap iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ramius, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Ramius macrumors 6502

In January I'm going to New York. I was considering buying an iPhone, all depending on the price.

If I were to buy one, I would have to buy an open phone, not locked to any phonecompany. And of course, if I were to buy one it would have to be iPhone 3G 16gb.

How many dollars will I have to cash out?

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

atleast 400. if not 5

thats the going rate for unlocked opened iphones.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    good luck with that. unless you payed someone on craigslist some unreasonable price you won't be able to buy an unlocked iphone. They only sell them with contracts here. You're best bet is ordering an iphone with firmware 2.1 or less and unlocking it yourself when the dev team releases their unlock software on new years eve.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

If you're considering buying it from Apple then that isn't possible since Apple doesn't sell unlocked phones here. You'd probably have better luck buying it from eBay.

5. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright lets say I will buy one with a contract. I can't buy one which requires me to pay a monthly subscription, because I'm taking it home to Norway.

Whats the cheapest one I can get away with buying, unlocking it when I come home?

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    any phones that you buy from now on at the store are most likely going to come with firmware 2. 2 and as of now you can't unlock the phone if it comes with 2.2, so you are pretty much out of luck unless you can find on on craigslist to buy locally when you get there

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

You definitely can buy unlocked iPhones in NYC. There are all sorts of electronics shops that sell unlocked phones, TVs, and other equipment. I'm never exactly sure where they got it, but it's there. As far as iPhones, when I was in NYC over the summer, I found them for $400-$500.

Not sure about the 3G's either.

And you're coming from Norway, looking to get an awesome deal on an iPhone, but the dollar is getting stronger again, so you may suffer some sticker shock.

8. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but 400 dollars is not bad. It costs twice as much here if you're buying them without any subscriptions.

But if there are electronic shops selling them unlocked, which of them is it? Could someone give me an adress so I can atleast check out their prices?

9. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I can't remember any specifically, but just go see all the usual things in the city, and if you walk around the common parts you'll eventually see one, I promise you, they're everywhere.

10. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought "hackers" had found a way to unlock f2.2 long time ago?

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's threads like this that have me itching to sell my first-generation phone before someone really learns how to unlock the 3G phones. ACK. But I'm being patient and waiting for at least 32GB.

12. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would make them alot cheaper.
    First of all, it's not the best phone you can get, technically, so on the phoneside, it shouldnt cost more than far better phones does.

On the musicside, it costs more than an 80gb iPod classic, which is kind of silly. So for that high price, you just get a combination of two medium-good products. And judging by two people I know, the batterylife isn't quite good either.

And how has Apple been able to lock the phones firmware so good, that nobody has been able to unlock it? With the Sony Playstation Portable, you see Sony trying to lock each and every firmware update. So far it's been atleast 30 updates, but people manages to unlock every single one.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You can't buy one from AT&T nor Apple, period. Not unless you can figure out a way to sign contract with AT&T, even then, you'll probably have to put down some serious deposit.

Only way to go for you is eBay.

14. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Or you could buy it, pay a month of service, and then pay the ETF.

About $578.33... yeah. Craigslist is also a great option.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You and I can, but I am not sure what option is available for someone without credit history or SS number.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And even then, when the OP goes back to Norway, It'll still be locked to AT&T SIMs.

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

That's not an issue if he can get hold of one with earlier baseband.

18. TheMBC macrumors 6502

\= True. Although shouldn't AT&T unlock it if you cancel your contact... geez! :D

19. svndmvn Guest

Then I guess I payed a good price for my contractless unlocked 16gb 3g,about 650$ in Italy.
    I suggest the OP takes a trip to Italy or Switzerland/UK where phones are locked though but the pay as you go option seems to cost not a lot more than 500$,same goes for European ebays, I guess

20. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Just throwing it out there on this one.. but if it's not the best phone you can get, and you think it's too expensive.. why do you want one so badly?

As far as what you actually want to get, I don't think anyone will be able to give you very many easy answers, because, as of yet there are none with regards to your question.

In order to actually buy an iPhone in the USA, you NEED to sign a 2 year agreement with AT&T, that's it, no ifs buts or maybes, you need to do that, and they're not going to let a Norwegian buy one as you will have no credit history and pretty much not exist in the USA, and that's something ATT aren't going to go easy on because they'll want their service money from you.

Your best route, is indeed the "Dodgy" route, while you're in NYC, have a look at craigslist/local (read: unofficial) stores and see what you can find for what you're willing to pay, otherwise if I were you I'd just chill out and wait a while and see if the prices come down.

I'm sorry if that's really not what you want to hear, but that's pretty much the truth on that one.

21. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

I want it because it combines several gadgets into one.
    I didnt know Apple had positioned their phone even worse in america than here. For people like me, it's nearly impossible to buy iPhone.

And didn't Apple say something about the 3g-model being twice as cheap to manufacture?

22. ynblood macrumors member

Hello Ramius,

When you are in NYC. Try on 7th Ave between 35 and 42th St. I don't know the exact address but I see all electronic stores selling all types of phones on 7th Ave. Sorry I couldn't be more precise.

Good Luck
    YB

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

FWIW I believe your expected to bargain on the price at them. There are lots around that area though.

They will be pretty expensive though I'd have thought. Way over $300.

24. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

you could always try canal street...it can be hard to find real stuff in chinatown though lol

25. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Not for you Europeans.