Going to NY for a few days, what to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by juanm, Nov 7, 2007.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

... apart from the obvious visiting the NYC Apple store?

I'll just have to buy a few things at BH, and I'll be free the rest of the time. Yeah, I'm going all the way over the atlantic to go shopping! Gotta take advantage of the €/$ change!

I'll be couchsurfing, by the way, and would like to spread the word around here, if it hasn't been done already.
    www.couchsurfing.com

Any ideas about things to see, do?
    Also, what's the best way to go from JFK to Manhattan? Cab, Subway?

2. mdutch macrumors newbie

mdutch

omg, there's tons of stuff to do and you can't do it all in a week, but i'll mention the most obvious. these locations are all pretty famous.

you can go to central park, the site of ground zero, Madame Tussauds wax museum, also if you'd like to go to the movie theaters...there is one right across from the wax museum that is huge...you can order dinner and eat it while u watch your movie. there are also lots of TV show tapings going on. late night, the peoples court, nbc studios, saturday night live, etc...some u need tickets to be in the audience..others you just need to find out when they're taping and be outside. there's also tons of famous restaurants in NYC. NYC has some of the best food.....ever. ny is famous for it's pizza...go to Lombardi's... it's The very first American pizza parlor. if u go to nyc and never get pizza i say that's a crime! lol jk. manhattan chili company is good, etc. then there are famous historical sites that you see in movies a lot. times square, Annex / Hells Kitchen Flea Market, grand central station, Rockefeller Center, the empire state building, nintendo world (lol), etc....lots of famous stores too. i know i just mentioned a little, cuz there is so much.

and a cab is definitely better to get where you need to go from the airport! that, or an airport limo (not actually a limo) it's like a cab that you share with a bunch of people. like a van. have fun.

3. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Gracias por los consejos. ;)

I'll have a pizza, then!

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Definitely take a cab.

Uptown and downtown bus tours. They're really cheap and a couple of hours long each. They take you around all the places you'll already know about. Which celebrity lives here, who was killed here, what movie this building was used for... And the guides are all native New Yorkers so they know their stuff. You can jump off and back on too if you see something you want to take your time at.

Find a nice little Italian restaurant in Midtown and take a bicycle 'cab' back to your hotel.

Time Square at night, Central Park, take a boat tour, they're a little more expensive but fun all the same.

If you're anything like me, you'll leave the 5th Avenue store a little disappointed. I felt like it was just another store, but you should go and see it. It's better from the outside in my opinion.

Cheers.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You should go to Canada.

Ok ok, I suggest that you go watch an ice hockey game at Madison Square Gardens (or possibly a basketball game).

Walking around with your camera is always fun. ;)

6. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

Take a cab to JFK, unless you really want to save $50 and take the subway/bus combination (I've done it loads of times but I was a poor university student which was really my only justification for the two-hour journey).

Central Park is beautiful in the fall. Hang out in Sheep Meadow and watch the frisbee players and capoiera dudes.

Check out a tiny (microscopic) wine and fondue bar called the Bourgeois Pig on 7th Street (south side of the street) between 1st and A. You will love it and it is pure "New York."

Definitely get a slice of pizza somewhere.

You can catch great views of the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry, which is totally free. Then while you're down in downtown Manhattan check out Wall Street, the brass bull statue (get a picture of you with your head in its nostril, it's a tourist requirement), City Hall, the WTC site if you're into that sort of thing, and walk along the Hudson River.

Union Square is often a good place to catch some good performance art and political protests, especially on the weekends.

These are just suggestions in addition to all the "standard" things of course. Have fun, I miss New York. :(