Going to NYC - best apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bagelche, Apr 26, 2009.

1. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I'm going to New York City for the first time in a few years. What apps would you recommend? I'm thinking a public transportation app would be very helpful (but which one?). Also any other city-centric apps that might be of use.

(bonus question: any of you going to the Throbbing Gristle show on Tuesday?)

thanks!

2. diesel macrumors 6502a

If you don't mind paying for an app you won't ever use again once you leave nyc, then iTrans NYC is the best subway app and i've tried a few. That and google maps is all you really need. For restaurant info and reviews, get Yelp. Huge community of user reviews for NYC restaurants.

Enjoy your visit!!!

3. speedievr6 macrumors newbie

CityTransit
    Yelp
    Urbanspoon

I use the Maps app with Google Maps the most, but that's already on the phone.

kev

4. speedievr6 macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, one more app you should look at is Hopstop....put in an address, and it will tell you which sabway or bus to take.

5. bagelche thread starter macrumors 6502

bagelche

Thanks speedievr6 and diesel for the suggestions. I went with iTrans NYC and Yelp.

I already had Yelp, but it's been surprisingly useless here in the Berkshires. I reinstalled it and it was very helpful in finding the great dumpling place I couldn't remember the name of and for exploring a few other food choices.

iTrans was handy for working in the subway without a signal and for resolving some discussion of L>G and 6>C.

I also used the built in map.

all in all, a success. Thanks!