Going to order iPad 1: Refurbished or new? Pls. Advice.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by XieoBebe, Mar 15, 2011.

1. XieoBebe macrumors member

I played with iPad 2 at Apple store yesterday. Yes, it's faster and lighter but since I won't be using heavy apps or games, I think iPad 1 will work fine for me. Plus, I am not too crazy about the new design. The exposed dock is so tacky. So, my question is if I get a refurbished one, will I see a huge difference than a new one? Will see I see lots of scratches or dents? What about iOS performance problems? TIA.

2. mo0620 macrumors regular

You should just get a refurb. In the past I've purchased some apple refurbs, and I never received one that was in bad condition or had any scratches. They all looked new, only difference for me was the box it came in

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

This is true, and they are tested to a higher standard which makes them usually more reliable. I don't think you can go wrong with a refurbished unit.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go with the Apple refurb. You won't be disappointed. I agree with your thoughts for the design of the 2. It's definitely inferior.

5. alan111 macrumors regular

I would go with a refurb.
    They are as good as new, if not, better. and CHEAPER!

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

And the manuals. I once got a worn manual with doodles and phone numbers written in it. :D

7. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm ordering a 1st gen refurb. It will be sufficient for my needs and with jailbreaking and the FakeClockUp package I can make it "feel" faster if I want. And I like the design better.

8. fanboy05 macrumors regular

I bought the refurb when it dropped to 349, and it looks as good as any new one out there. no issues at all and they come with the exact same warranty and a new battery... save yourself the $ and get a refurb!

9. MacMaad macrumors member

Apple refurbished products are great. I have purchased several over the years and have not regretted it. The iPads come with a new casing, so it won't look used at all. Plus the benefit of being checked over even more thoroughly than it was when new.

From the Apple website:

"We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.
    All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

Can't beat the new product warranty, also. Definitely an excellent bargain IMHO. :)

10. XieoBebe thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your fast replies and advice. I went ahead and ordered a refurbished unit. It will come with iOS 4.3. Now I can't wait to mess around with it! :D

11. XieoBebe thread starter macrumors member

Do it! I just did. However, about jailbreaking it, since it will come with iOS 4.3, can it be done?

12. joehahn macrumors regular

I'm getting an Ipad 1 as well, I don't really need the power of the 2nd generation, and other than that they didn't change enough about it to entice me. I plan on nabbing a 32gb wifi+3g on ebay though.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

14. klover macrumors 6502a

Recieved my refurb last week (16GB).

Compared to the 2 new iPads I opened in the past for my parents and girlfriend's parents, there is absolutely no difference.

In fact, one of the "new" iPads had a cluster of dead pixels and the other had some backlight bleeding (sound familiar?...).

My refurb has no scuffs, scratches, dust under screen, dead pixels, yellow tint, pink/blue tint, backlight bleeding, loose home screen button, etc.

15. XieoBebe thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I've been reading a lot of on MR about the backlight bleeding and other things. I just think that they are rushing them out to beat other tablets. This just confirms my decision to get the iPad 1 instead.