Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonhlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2018
I am going to be visiting portland during 6/13 - 6/15
Assuming apple announce the new mac book pro this wwdc, because there is a possibility apple store will not have the spec I am looking for, is it possible to order it to my house (seattle) and pay for it there in the store? Will i still be able to avoid tax that way?

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Why not order it over the phone before you go so they can have it in hand when you arrive?

Lou

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Assuming apple announce the new mac book pro this wwdc, because there is a possibility apple store will not have the spec I am looking for, is it possible to order it to my house (seattle) and pay for it there in the store? Will i still be able to avoid tax that way?
If you order to be picked up in the store then sales tax is based on the store's location. I once did this and picked up a customized 2012 mac mini in Anchorage while on business.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Why not order it over the phone before you go so they can have it in hand when you arrive?

If you order to be picked up in the store then sales tax is based on the store's location. I once did this and picked up a customized 2012 mac mini in Anchorage while on business.

Hmm, trying to figure out the difference between these two posts Unknown.png

Lou

ExGMan

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
Chestnut Hill, MA
You could avoid any sales tax by buying it from Adorama or B&H in NY and having it shipped to your home/business.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Tax is always based on the shipping address.

Not so. I've bought most of my Macs online from PowerMax in Oregon. They never charged me sales tax, but you still owe sales tax on your purchases in the form of use tax reported when you file your taxes each year.

Even if they don't collect sales tax from you at time the purchase, you still owe it.

Reactions: Garsun

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Not so. I've bought most of my Macs online from PowerMax in Oregon. They never charged me sales tax, but you still owe sales tax on your purchases in the form of use tax reported when you file your taxes each year.

Even if they don't collect sales tax from you at time the purchase, you still owe it.

Well, also if they have representation in the ship to state. Basically, if there's an Apple store in your state, you will be taxed. Pickup or ship to must be in a Non-Apple state to not be taxed...

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Well, also if they have representation in the ship to state. Basically, if there's an Apple store in your state, you will be taxed. Pickup or ship to must be in a Non-Apple state to not be taxed...

That is true if you're buying direct from Apple, but if you're buying from a reseller, this isn't true... and I just realized that the OP specifically asked about buying from the Apple Store so nevermind what I said... totally irrelevant.

Yeah, for all orders direct from the Apple Store the shipping address determines the tax.

FrancisBryan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
UK
My guess is
1 They will not announce a new Mac Book Pro next week
and
2 Even if they did, it would probably not be available for a few months.
Just a hunch!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^From everything I've read, there will be no hardware releases at all.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.