Going to Orlando in summer, wheres Apple shop and....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrMister111, Feb 25, 2011.

1. MrMister111, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Hi I'm going to Orlando/Disney in summer with family. we're from UK, and all Apple stuff is much cheaper over there compared to UK.

So I aim to "fill my boots" when over there and grab some goodies. Can anyone say if theres a Apple store, or apple retailer close by iDrive? how much I'll have to pay over the website prices? (I believe there a tax depending on state).

Also what about warranty? if I buy in Apple retail, will the warranty stand in UK?

I'm thinking of buying an Apple TV, maybe an iPad 2 if there not out in UK, or significantly cheaper in US (and I can wait till then!), and maybe some accessories etc

Also what about customs in UK, is there a limit to gifts or something? and then have to pay import duty?

Can you take iPads on planes to? I will be taking my iPhone 4 (or maybe 5 :) ), on, but they are so fussy with not allowing them on, even in airplane mode, I had to say it was an iPod touch last time, as iPhones werent allowed ;}

cheers

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You will have to pay import duties. I think the limit before duties is about 300 pounds. Lots of people try to sneak them in by not declaring them, but if customs finds it you will get hit with not only the tax but possibly a fine as well.

3. methodlala macrumors newbie

if you want to avoid the tax, just purchase it from amazon and have it ship to your hotel in orlando, you can avoid expedited shipping if you plan the order and your arrival accordingly.

AppleCare can be purchased through amazon as well.

Unless you plan to resell these items, I wouldn't bother to declare them. Just make sure they're not sealed in the box when you arrive at customs... rather use them as if you came to america with them ;)

Enjoy your time in Orlando

4. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Mall at Millenia
    4200 Conroy Road
    Orlando, FL 32839

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

cheers,

I was planning on taking out of the box, and using it. I will carry if its an iPad in my hand luggage, if its an Apple TV, I might either discard the box, or put the apple tv in different cases, dont think I could put Apple TV in hand luggage as looks a bit suss!

If the duty is above £300 I might be ok then, as I say, its probably going to be an Apple TV and accessories, hopefully iPad 2 will be out before summer here in UK, and I've promised myself one :)

Dont fancy the ordering to delivery at hotel option, as would have to be in, wouldnt know where it is etc. How much is the tax in FLorida/Orlando? what would be the prices in the Apple retail store above, compared to Apple.com/store for prices please for comparison.

cheers

6. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

7. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

Orlando sales tax is 6%. Ordering off Amazon (your UK account will work you just need to re enter the credit card for the new address) will save you the 6% and you don't have to be in the hotel to receive it. Reception will take care of it however they may charge a fee for receiving packages so check. It is very easy to do and comes without the hassle.

The apple TV is so small it would be fine in your hand luggage and as the lovely TSA have a habit of opening your bags while not present i would certainly recommend it.

£300 is your limit before paying import duty. I believe this is per person but be careful with UK customs as they generally check people coming back from the US for undeclared goods. You also can't add up other family members allowance into one lump sum.

Florida Mall is your closest bet otherwise Millenia.

Don't by from the overpriced shops on i'drive.

Enjoy Orlando.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

9. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I got my iPad when i went to Orlando last year, from the Mall at Millennia at the top of International Drive, 16GB WiFi, came to about £320 with the tax (current exchange rate puts it at £330) but i had to get a UK charger when i got home, which was another £25 as i didn't want to use an adapter all the time as they say temporary use only on them, so i still saved £85

the duty limit is £390 per person, but you can't share the £390 between you and bring home one thing worth £500 because there is two of you.

i just put the iPad box in my suitcase, and carried the iPad in my hand luggage, and didn't declare it.

as far as getting the Apple TV while you're there, you may have a problem with NTSC and PAL, i'm not sure. You will be getting it for about £66 (at the current exchange rate) but you will need the correct power lead for in the UK, you may be able to use a lead from an old video player or something but again i'm not sure, my opinion is that you would be better of just spending the £99 here, to be safe, it's only £33 extra. Because also iPad plus Apple TV is over £390, so on the off chance you do get stopped you're going to be paying duty and then you will have saved nothing...

You may be able to get the Apple TV in Dixons Duty Free at the Airport, just a thought... don't know...

that's my 2 cents.

10. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

The store at Mall of Millenia is much nicer than the one at Florida Mall. Or, maybe it's just the Florida Mall isn't as nice as Mall of Millenia?

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for that, so is it £390 each though? ie me and my wife have £390 each to spend, so I can get something for £390 and she can get something for £390, just not over the £390 as then it requires import tax?

I think if the iPad 2 is out before summer I'll probably end up getting it in UK if available, if not may get it over there, or even another one :) and chance it, ie put the empty box in suitcase and actual iPad in my hand luggage.

Even if get iPad her in UK, I will probably buy a few accessories for it over in US as much cheaper..case, SD card adapter, stand maybe etc

I will check on Apple TV 2 then about NTSC and PAL, the lead I know is just a Figure 8 type, so got plenty here (ie the power supply is built into Apple TV), although I believe it is universal for worldwide use. For the price they are, about £67 with US tax included I might buy a couple.

Did you pay via credit card? What about credit charge charges for oversea use? Did you ask about the warranty and say you were buying to use it in UK? and could you return to a UK retail store for warranty issues?

cheers

12. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

yes, that is as far as i remember from looking it up before, how it works although some specific items have different limits, but you'd have to look into that yourself, you're ok for the ipad at £390

yeah if you're already there you may as well save a few quid on that stuff.

i did speak to them and it seems to be a grey area, the guy told me that AppleCare is definitely Worldwide coverage, so the Warranty probably is too, but when i looked i found out you can get AppleCare for the iPad for as little as £40 on ebay UK, so i decided to get that when i got back home, and it is now registered on the AppleCare fine...

13. jamesyd1991 macrumors member

My dad managed to buy a mac mini in Mall at Millenia and got it through as hand luggage, no problems with customs/tax coming back to the Uk...