Going to purchase a used Macbook and need some advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by imprezu, Jun 21, 2010.

1. imprezu macrumors member

imprezu

I'm going to pick up a late 2008 Macbook white 2.4ghz C2D 1gb ram 120gb hd tomorrow afternoon in pristine condition. If I bump up the HD to 500gb and ram to 2 or 4gb, will the notebook last me a while? I'll just be surfing the web, checking email, and also storing my music and pictures on it.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have that model since August 2008 and it has 4GB RAM and a 297GiB HDD and it is still running like a charm.

For your intents and purposes, even an older Mac will do fine.

And yes, it will last you a while, but make sure you it still has warranty left, as sometimes computers have defects and a warranty will cover that.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't have warranty left, but perhaps it's under AppleCare.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I know, I should have worded it better.

Btw, my MacBook also has no Apple Care, but still a warranty from the shop I bought it from until August 2011, which was cheaper (70€ at the time of the purchase of the MacBook, 150+€ less than Apple Care) and covers the same. I already got an iBook logic board replaced via the same warranty.

5. imprezu thread starter macrumors member

imprezu

BTW I'm an I.T. guy so getting used parts and replacing them on the notebook is not a big deal.

6. johnnyham macrumors regular

Unless you really like having your music and pictures everywhere you go, I'd just stick with the 120GB hard drive and invest in an external one. I picked up a 1 TB Western Digital MyBook for $70 on sale about a year ago, still haven't filled it up (although I'm getting close). A 500GB internal drive would probably run you around $150+. I just keep music on my internal hard drive (160GB), around 40GB worth.

And yeah, Macbooks were built to last. Upgrading to 4GB of RAM will definitely give you more than enough power. Although if you're just using it for email and web stuff, you won't need anymore than the 2GB it comes with.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Between 77 USD and 99 USD at www.macsales.com.
    Between 75 and 115 USD at www.newegg.com.