Going to reinstall Leopard... I have a few questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Carbonic, May 31, 2008.

1. Carbonic macrumors regular

I have some very important emails saved in a folder on mail.app, how can I save those on my external HD and import them back into mail.app when I reinstall Leopard?

Also, I want to be able to keep my itunes play count, and all my playlists, etc. Is this possible?

2. G-Com macrumors regular

Yup.

Most of the stuff is in plist files in Preferences or in folders in Application Support and the filenames tend to make sense. With Mail (and Thunderbird,) there's a folder in the Library folder containing each account. Back this up, too.

Just drag them back to the right place when you get the new installation completed. Back up your browser bookmarks, too!

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Your Mail is stored in ~/Library/Mail

Just back this folder up and copy it across after you've reinstalled.

4. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so I have two mailboxes, and I see the folders for them. So I should back both of those up + the "Mailboxes" folder and then when I reinstall, just drag them back to ~/Library/Mail?

PS- What about the iTunes issue?

thanks for your help.

5. G-Com macrumors regular

Isn't there a Mail plist stored in Preferences? I actually use Thunderbird nowadays.

6. G-Com macrumors regular

No problem. :) Your iTunes stuff is also located in Preferences as com.apple.iTunes.plist and com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist. Back those up.

The iTunes Music Library.xml in the iTunes folder should be backed up, too.