Going to run out of storage space soon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akitio, Feb 17, 2011.

1. akitio macrumors newbie

Hi,

due to my hobby of video editing, my storage space is running all time low...

wondering which external hard drive is bast for the job?

a friend has this system call Taurus Mini Super-S basically it offer a case for 2 hard drives and back up function with lcd display... which use 2x2.5 SATA?

what is SATA means?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

D. Need more info.

What model MBP do you have. Do you have an expresscard slot? Can you use eSATA or are you limited to Firewire 800? What's most important; Speed, Cost or Portability?

3. akitio thread starter macrumors newbie

this unit will be my in home storage unit, below is a link to official website,

http://www.akitio.com/products/raid-enclosures/taurus-mini-lcm/

Price : I found on ebay for around $120 after shipping which I am ok with.

Speed : will be the bigger issue here. Due to the large file size i am working with, dont want to wait forever for transfer

4. akitio thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone using this type of equipment? insight of pro and con?

5. JennyX, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

JennyX macrumors newbie

Akitio taurus mini for vid editing

I've used the Taurus minis for a while now and works great for on-site vid editing. Use it with a MBP 13 w FireWire 800 and it's fast and portable enough to carry around since they're bus powered. I've been using the caldigit vr minis before and are very similar to the akitios. I picked the akitios because they're cheaper than the Caldigits and have 2 fw800 connections so u can daisy chain them (VR minis only have 1 FW800, 1 FW400). For my current vid project I have two 2TB akitios daisy chained to the MBP (I was editing on a 5-hr flight!). However they will suck up your battery tho. Hope this helps.